Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I find myself looking for another gear at hwy speeds. I purchased my GT with a 14t already installed, so I'm considering adding a few teeth to the rear when it comes time to replace the chain. In the meantime, I'm thinking of going back to the stock 15t gearing.

Is the stock gearing really that tall? I seem to be in the minority.

·
Registered
401 Posts
It really depends on how you ride and where you ride. If you are on a lot of high speed roads then the stock gearing is OK. If you are in town and are starting from a stop a lot then not so much. I find on a Sunday morning ride on country back roads with lots of turns where absolute speed is not really the issue it is all about cornering speed then I spend most of the day in third or fourth gear. A bigger rear sprocket keeps the apparent gearing closer together and thus you can more finely tune the exit thrust. On the other hand if you are just cruising through the turns then a smaller rear sprocket can cut down how often you shift.

It is a personal preference so do not feel the need to defend it just enjoy your bike.

Jim

·
Official Retired Person
7,377 Posts
I rode my '07 GT with the 15T front sprocket for about 2K miles then switched to a 14T. I ride a 50-50 mix of city and country with a couple of 400+ miles days thrown in for good measure! I prefer the 15T.

il Capo is correct though, it really depends on how and where you ride. It's not a real expensive experiment if you you can swap the front sprocket yourself. You should try it!

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Sometimes I find myself looking for another gear at hwy speeds. I purchased my GT with a 14t already installed, so I'm considering adding a few teeth to the rear when it comes time to replace the chain. In the meantime, I'm thinking of going back to the stock 15t gearing.

Just to be clear....you realize that "adding a few teeth at the rear" is like going to an even *smaller* front sprocket, right? Smaller front or bigger rear = higher rpm at any speed. Bigger front or smaller rear = lower rpm. From what you wrote, if you are keeping the 14T front, you want fewer teeth at the rear, not more.

No problem putting the 15T back on in the meantime, but when you change the chain you should change both sprockets with it, to avoid excessive chain wear.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
What yellowduck says: +1 down on the front = circa -2.5 on the rear - e.g. to shorten/lower the gearing.
Or e.g. -1 on the front, or +2.5 on the rear makes it taller.

Like everyone says, it's so cheap to try switching the front between 14T and 15T you may as well just give both a try. I prefer 14T simply cos I do a lot of town riding, plus it's good for coming out of corners on a track day... 15T for a less laboured engine and higher speeds, or 14T for the (illusion of) more grunt.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to be clear....you realize that "adding a few teeth at the rear" is like going to an even *smaller* front sprocket, right?
Ah, yes... You are correct. Thank you. I meant to say "reduce the # of teeth on the rear."

I'll give the 15t front sprocket a try. Seems like I remember seeing Renthal brand for a few bucks less than OEM. Is this one of those situations where OEM is best, or would aftermarket be as good/better?

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
OEM is not always the best quality, but does support you warranty for things like belts. Renthal are quality.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have tried a few different combinations, 14/39, 14/40, 15/39 and 15/42.

Overall 15/42 is best for me. Good for city and spirited rides in the mountains.

The vibration feeling with the small 14T sprocket (as the chain was lower down) was a bit annoying at low speeds - but a great value mod. When i changed the wheels I did the back sprocket as well and can't be happier.

This is a vid a little while ago, borrowed a gopro from a friend and was just trying it out. a bit of a crappy road quality wise, but was fun with no traffic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts