Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
6,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a carbon fiber fender off of eBay.
It was scratched, the clearcoat was hazed, and it was ugly.
It was just plain, no graphics.
I wet sanded the clearcoat with first 320 grit paper, then 600 paper.
Here is what the fender looked like.
I didn't think to take before pic, but you see how ugly it was.

I taped off for the Corse stripe.
I painted the primer, and then white. I added the pinstripes and painted the red. This is what it looked like at that stage.

Now I peeled off the pinstripe tape, took off the paper.
It looked like this.

So I scuff sanded it all with 600 grit paper. Wet sanding is critical for the final clearcoat. I sanded both the painted and unpainted surfaces.
I put on my "Signature Make it mine" decal.:D
Then I clearcoated it.
I did two light layers. Sanded it, and then two medium layers.

Here is the finished product.

Here are the materials I used.

320 and 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper.
3M painters tape.
Wagner HVLP Fine Finish Paint rig.
Sherwin Williams Auto primer in white
House of Colors Apple Red
Sherwin Williams Auto Polyurethane Clearcoat

·
Registered
40 Posts
Another good tip for refurbing the stock carbon fiber: Make sure you clearcoat the underside of the carbon as well. The stock carbon (at least on my '95 SP) is so thin, in some places you can see right through it. Water gets through these spaces and actually lifts the clearcoat on top.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I got my carbon fiber clear coated by a painter through a local shop. Boy, am I sorry. Thick areas, fish eyes, runs, I was amazed at how crappy the work. Unfortunately, it was not that expensive and I am paying for that now. I thought that I was paying for an average clearcoat job.

Oh well, be aware of the quality you are expecting.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Important when you sand CF is to make sure you only sand the clear coat as if you sand the CF itself the article becomes irrepairable.

Carbon fiber is happiest when it is straight and it is only the Epoxy/CF matrix together that holds the CF strands in the shape of the article and the CF itself sands down very very easily. If you sand even a very small part - sanding through a couple of strands - they will stand straight up and it is impossible to flatten them out again.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Important when you sand CF is to make sure you only sand the clear coat as if you sand the CF itself the article becomes irrepairable.

Carbon fiber is happiest when it is straight and it is only the Epoxy/CF matrix together that holds the CF strands in the shape of the article and the CF itself sands down very very easily. If you sand even a very small part - sanding through a couple of strands - they will stand straight up and it is impossible to flatten them out again.
?..... I've had that happen to me with Kevlar... But Never Ever with carbon.... The expoxy is part of the fibers, it is impregnated, if you sand through the gell coat,the worst thing that will happen is that you will have a black spot where you sanded the fibers...

·
MR. Twill
303 Posts
?..... I've had that happen to me with Kevlar... But Never Ever with carbon.... The expoxy is part of the fibers, it is impregnated, if you sand through the gell coat,the worst thing that will happen is that you will have a black spot where you sanded the fibers...
i would have to agree

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.