Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I opened them up (first time doing upside down) and found the white plastic "thingy" on the right leg cracked longitudinally and floating around. If I didn’t have this one to compare it to I never would have known...
Anyway, what is it called and can they be obtained? Can’t tell by looking at the Haynes drawing.

0D58FE3F-9E78-4436-9ABD-23197971106D.jpeg
It was BAD in there.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
It is a spring guide and I recommend you remove them both. They do not need to be there and are likely to repeat what you have found. I once replaced them and over time realized I was wasting my time and effort. If I go into a set of forks with this version I remove them even if good because it is only a matter of time.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Remove them & call it a day --As ducvet says not needed in any way

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
i'd say it's actually a hydraulic anti bottoming device. as the fork compresses, that thing comes down and when the lower edge of it gets to the cartridge body, the oil above it is forced out the holes and it acts as a cushion of sorts. i would also expect that it hits the top of the cartridge before the moving rebound piston hits the top of the bottom plug / compression piston, thus stopping them hitting each other.

some of the later marzocchi cartridges have a similar, reversed thing in the top of the cartridge, with a steel ring on the rod. i can attest to how well they spray the oil captured in there out while slowing the rod. surprising how big a mess a small amount of oil can make.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
If and when you do remove it I do retain the lower stop ring as it keeps the rebound nut from coming in contact with the compression nut.This will leave about 10mm space between the rebound and compression at max travel of the damper rod.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i figured you'd know the answer.
One detail; I usually do not bother putting any of the stop rings back on the rod, unless I want to stop the rod during handling. In actual use the "final stop" of the compression stroke is the top of the inner leg hitting the bottom of the top nut.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now ya‘ll lost me.
There are two circlips around the rod holding the offending plastic spring guide in place.
That what you’re talking about? Leave in them there?
3CC596C4-F983-42B3-AA99-075E53BB9F75.jpeg
That’s what came out....

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I would remove just the upper clip and the plastic guide, leaving the lower clip unless you plan on going inside the cartridge to re-valve.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sorry for any confusion I might have contributed to:

Fig. 4a Hydrostop removal by torbjörn bergström, on Flickr

As you assumed, the rings above and below the hydraulic stop.
Personally, I leave both out since I (almost ...) always dissasemble the fork fully, including the shim stacks, when I do a service. In that case, these rings are just a pain to remove and replace. From a functional point of view, no difference, IMO just a matter of personal taste.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think the world-wide distributors for SKF seals is InnTeck, check www.InnTeck.com or InnTeck-usa.com.
I have not checked on those www's myself, but that's what their dimension sheet says.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts