Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Reduced clutch lever pull

2350 Views 16 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Fariborz
Yes- I realise this issue has been dealt with before BUT I still wish for a practical solution to reduce clutch pull effort on the testastretta engines (specifically ’04 749)

For those of you who think “masturbation increases grip strength” posts are funny PLEASE go away NOW.

I need to get practical advice from those with experience & knowledge to this real problem- is a new cylinder (eg: Yoyodyne) a good thing or is reducing number of springs an easier solution?
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
613 Posts
I have an EVO slave on my 916 and it seems to have reduced the lever pull
effort somewhat. At around I think $180.00 is what I paid for it from
MotoWheels.com. You could go the ultimate route though and get a Surflex
slipper clutch at $1,200.00 and your clutch will feel like spreading butter on warm bread, easy as it gets. I have one on my 04 999r and love it more for the reduced lever effort than the anti rear wheel chatter on multiple sloppy
downshifts. The Surflex clutch is a one or two finger opperation affair. If you have a hard time with the stock clutch get the Surflex if you have the money.
If you are worried about spending big bucks go with the EVO or I hear that
YoYodyne makes a good clutch slave cylinder that will reduce the lever effort.

· Registered
243 Posts
Evo slave on my 748 made a night and day difference. Before it, I was having a really hard time finding neutral, so I was stuck holding the clutch in at lights. There were times I had to just shut the engine off because I couldn't hold the clutch any longer. Swapped out that slave, bled the crap out of it, and bingo, problem solved.

· Registered
5,188 Posts
I've got the Evo slave which gives a reduced pull with better feel (due to slightly longer action) but still gets heavy if you're in stop-start traffic, a definite improvement though. :)

Oh and masturbation only helps if you're left-handed...... ;)

· Super Moderator
8,335 Posts
Don´t make me edit your posts! Ya heard!

*Waving a finger of warning*

//amullo
moderator with an extremly strong throttle/brake grip

· Registered
311 Posts
All the suggestions above are good ones but if one has a tight budget one might want to see if he/she can improve what he/she has with little modifications.

Most of the pressure that one feels are from the resistance force of the springs on the pressure-plate. Some people think those springs are over-designed for the task. Those springs are designed so that as the clutch plates wear, they still have more than enough force to keep the plates from slipping.

Those springs are held in place with a flanged bushing and a bolt. The bolts are tightened until the flange bottoms out on top of the post on the bub. Adding a thin washer between the post and the flanged bushing increases the spring length at rest position, therefore reducing its compressed force. The thickness of the added washer controls how much force is applied to the spring at rest position. One can experiment with different thickness washers to get the proper resistance. Care should be taken that not too thick of a washer is added to cause the plates to slip.

As an alternative, one can also get different springs with reduced spring rates. I actually know of someone who has removed two of those springs from his clutch (need to keep the setup still symetric). One can also replace one or two of the thicker steel plates with spring plates that are 0.5 mm thinner.

A friend of mine has added the washers to his clutch and is very happy with the lever pull. But as usual when getting help on the Internet, approach at your own risk if you decide to try any of the above.

-Fariborz

· Registered
311 Posts
The Spicy Guy from Down-Under said:
Never expected a reply from Kathmandu (good response Fariborz!)

In an earlier incarnation I might have said "far-out, man"
Spice,

In my current reincarnation I am going to say, "Dude, I am here on an imaginary reconnaissance mission to learn more about Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance!"

-Fariborz

· Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,397 Posts
TrojanHorse said:
Evo slave on my 748 made a night and day difference. Before it, I was having a really hard time finding neutral...
That's weird, because I had the opposite effect with my ST2. I didn't have any issues with the stock slave (other than it leaking), but when I put the Evo on the bike, I have difficulties finding neutral (I keep overshooting it, unless I'm rolling). I still have the stock slave on my 748, but when it starts leaking, it's getting an Evo put on it. I've never had a problem with clutch pull, though, as my old Harley has a cable clutch that makes the Ducati's seem wimpy.

· Registered
311 Posts
Desmo_Demon said:
That's weird, because I had the opposite effect with my ST2. I didn't have any issues with the stock slave (other than it leaking), but when I put the Evo on the bike, I have difficulties finding neutral (I keep overshooting it, unless I'm rolling). I still have the stock slave on my 748, but when it starts leaking, it's getting an Evo put on it. ...
Terry,

May I suggest you also look into Yoyodyne's slave. I have had one on my 748 for close to 7 years and have had ZERO issues with it. Finding neutral is as easy as cutting through butter, moving or not! Highly recommended!

-Fariborz

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.