Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Red totally rocks of course, and yellow really pops.

If I had a red one I'd often lust after the rare brilliance of the yellow, and if I had a yellow one I'd probably long for the tradition and glow of the red...

In just about any color the carby versions are totally stunning IMO.

But if I had to choose I'd go with yellow, because it's relatively rare/different and you can go a lot longer between washes with the bike still looking very clean.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

If I had a red one I'd often lust after the rare brilliance of the yellow, and if I had a yellow one I'd probably long for the tradition and glow of the red...

But if I had to choose I'd go with yellow, because it's relatively rare/different and you can go a lot longer between washes with the bike still looking very clean.
I agree!!:D

·
Registered
662 Posts
I vote red. But I am a traditionalist.....
Well Ducati tradition isn't that red at all. A smattering of '60s bikes were red (250 Mach 1 was a beaut as was the 200 Elite) but none I can remember from the '70s and it was '70s that put Ducati on the map. Beautiful silver and green '74 750SS, silver and blue 900SS, black and gold 900SS and the yellow 750 Sport are all icons. Pantah era had more red of course and by the '90s red was the more common colour.

Then again, none of my four ducatis are red so maybe I am a bit biased.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Well Ducati tradition isn't that red at all. A smattering of '60s bikes were red (250 Mach 1 was a beaut as was the 200 Elite) but none I can remember from the '70s and it was '70s that put Ducati on the map. Beautiful silver and green '74 750SS, silver and blue 900SS, black and gold 900SS and the yellow 750 Sport are all icons. Pantah era had more red of course and by the '90s red was the more common colour.

Then again, none of my four ducatis are red so maybe I am a bit biased.
So true, it's a recent tradition (1990's...) but racing red make so much sense for Ducati, like Ferrari. That said, I've owned 4 ducati's and none of them have been red either : )

·
Registered
662 Posts
So true, it's a recent tradition (1990's...) but racing red make so much sense for Ducati, like Ferrari. That said, I've owned 4 ducati's and none of them have been red either : )
Good point on racing red then following on to street models. I did notice no red ducs in your stable and a nice stable it is I might add.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It doesn't really matter, but red IS the faster color.

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
Mate and I went for a long ride in Beautiful Sunny conditions on Sunday.

The Question comes again RED Or YELLOW?

I believe as long as you can enjoy a long ride in excellent conditions on a thumping Ducati, Who Cares!

What do you reckon??
When I first bought mine I thought "But it's NOT red! A Ducati should be RED!". But I still bought it. Then, after I'd parked it in the sun a couple of times, and saw how it stood out (and how many ignored the red ones to stop and look at mine), I started to change my mind. Didn't take very long at all, and I was hooked on yellow.

However - mines now 50-50. The original tank rusted (it'd had a bit of water sitting in it), and the only replacement I could get was red. Then I did a biposto conversion, so I can take my kids for a ride (even the wife if her Bandit's down), and all those bits were red also. So now it's a yellow fairing, with a red butt! :)

The plan is to paint it sometime - YELLOW - but making it work right has a higher priority than making it look pretty. Besides, the pretty bikes get stolen before the rough looking ones... ;)

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Years from now, when your grand kids look at an old picture of your yellow Ducati, and say "Grandpa, WHAT were you thinking ? Ducatis are supposed to be RED !" and just shake their heads and walk away whispering " See, I told you , he's always been a bit off " Don't say we didn't warn you !

·
A 748 Fanatic
3,155 Posts
Yellow, yellow, YELLOW or YeLlOw?

You can't get away from yellow and red just blends in.

Granpa, I got your granpa hanging and my grand kids will be dead before me, who's gonna do the talkin?

I did not like yellow till I got the first 748,, now theres the second 748. Known as Yellow 1 and Yellow 2. I would not trade either one for a red one. Reds just too plain. Everybody has a red one. Yellow stands on its own.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Fact: Try to sell a red and yellow ss of the same vintage and condition and the red one will sell for at least a thousand dollars more.

I shit you not, red ones are worth more because it is widely recognised they are better and thus more desirable.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Fact: Try to sell a red and yellow ss of the same vintage and condition and the red one will sell for at least a thousand dollars more.

I shit you not, red ones are worth more because it is widely recognised they are better and thus more desirable.
This isn't the Road Race section, you can't just make up shit and call it a fact here !!! :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
This isn't the Road Race section, you can't just make up shit and call it a fact here !!! :D
Sounds far fetched, but I was told that by a couple of different dealers when looking for my bike a few years back.

I added the "because they're better" bit. But apparently the red ones genuinely will get more as most people want red.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

And you would've "paid two thousand more" so in fact you've lot money on red!:D
Win!;)

·
Registered
712 Posts

The grass always looks greener....

Just to throw in another color :D

41 - 60 of 141 Posts