Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that this issue was fixed but apparently not My bike died on the way to work at 530 in the morning after the oil light came on. I recently had warranty service performed that was oil related. And when I left the shop then, the bike died on me after 15 minutes and they had to come by and haul it away.

Never had an issue of this happening riding the 750 miles bike down from Seattle last month, it's a new bike. It now has a 1000 miles on it. Seems. Like this oil.light issue has only appeared after the warranty work was performed. One of the techs mentioned it was a software issue but I find it hard to believe sine they have to hook up my bike to get the service light to dissapear and it should indicate whether I have the latest version then or requires an update? Even if it needed one, it shouldn't prevent the bike from running.

Fortunately this tme after a few minutes, I got the bike to turn over and made it to work.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had the same issue, and it took the workshop ages to work out that it wasn't anything to do with the oil - it was a faulty ignition switch. The oil light only came on as the ignition went off.

New switch fitted under warranty, sorted.

Reactions: Vegasrider

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
"Don't worry, they all do that "

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the same issue, and it took the workshop ages to work out that it wasn't anything to do with the oil - it was a faulty ignition switch. The oil light only came on as the ignition went off.

New switch fitted under warranty, sorted.
Thanks for the tip. So the ignition switch can fail when riding? Causing the bike to stop running. I was hoping someone has experienced the same issue. I was starting to wonder whether it was an oil pressure issue or even contaminated oil.

On a side note, does the red oil light illuminate suppose to light up and stay on when you power up? And then goes off once the engine cranks up?

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
On a side note, does the red oil light illuminate suppose to light up and stay on when you power up? And then goes off once the engine cranks up?
Yes! Indicates low oil pressure if on. There is no oil pressure if the bike isn't running, so there you go.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks for the tip. So the ignition switch can fail when riding? Causing the bike to stop running. I was hoping someone has experienced the same issue. I was starting to wonder whether it was an oil pressure issue or even contaminated oil.
Yes - the engine stops running and the old light comes on. All I needed to do was to flick the ignition switch and restart the engine, however as the oil light was on, I wasn't prepared to do that. I was left stranded 3 times while the bike was picked up and taken back to the workshop.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My DVT had a spate of engine cut outs that each happened as I was coming to a stop. This occurred in all modes except sport. Dealers checked it and had to reset the TPS - it has done about 10 trips (around 200 miles total) since the reset but after picking it up from the dealers for warranty work on the side stand and a new key (old one wouldn't align with the ignition pick up) it cut out again. Curiously, the bike revved to about 2500 rpm on start up without any throttle input. I've been asked to monitor it but will be seeking a permanent fix if it happens again... losing power in heavy traffic is no joke!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kind of frustrating, we shouldn't be having these issues on a new bike. I would like to ride the bike down to Vegas over Christmas, a 450 mile ride which is essentially covers a whole lot of nothing between Reno and LV but I don't want to be left high and dry out in the middle of nowhere, especially when there is no cell phone coverage for most of the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts