Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure but logic tells that yes inside the udder gets red hot?? I have run my 2005 S2R 800 with out the stock can's on, for a month or so.
I have now put my TFI computer in and did the air box mod (cutting a bigger opening) set up my TFI unit as instructions (done one before on my ST2) Took it out for a run and is running sweet, but now I see the internals of the udder glowing red hot!? It caught my eye as I have never noticed it before!!
I have a spark midpipe on it's way so the udder will be gone anyway, but should I be concerned about the glowing red hot internals of the udder?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Not sure but logic tells that yes inside the udder gets red hot?? I have run my 2005 S2R 800 with out the stock can's on, for a month or so.
I have now put my TFI computer in and did the air box mod (cutting a bigger opening) set up my TFI unit as instructions (done one before on my ST2) Took it out for a run and is running sweet, but now I see the internals of the udder glowing red hot!? It caught my eye as I have never noticed it before!!
I have a spark midpipe on it's way so the udder will be gone anyway, but should I be concerned about the glowing red hot internals of the udder?
So you're running the udder only, no cans right?

I think you're bike is running too lean. You could cause some serious engine damage if you continue to run it like that. The TFI unit is a "tune to the seat of your pants" type control thingy right? I would put the stock cans back on, take off the TFI and see if this corrects the problem. Once you have all your exhaust items (Spark midpipe) and maybe cans (if you plan on using any), and TFI unit and have it properly dyno tuned. It's worth the cash.

I would however probably just sell the TFI and spend the extra dough on a PC III. Just my .02 cents.

Good luck.

·
Registered
153 Posts
your valves are prolly toast .... we had to repair a customer's bike that was runnin like that without a pipes and his valves were shot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes Chill it is a "Thingee"TFI/SFI" unit, Staintune one, the same as type as dobeck performace one's.
Yes runing only the udder with no mufflers, have drilled two, two inch holes in my air box lid, on the side's of the lid.

MotoGP- yes looking inside is red, (honey comb internal cat bit) Yes that's what I think, that it should be rich as I am adding fuel with this unit, am getting more air, but with the tank down and the padding on the inside is resticting my holes I have drilled. Other than the hot red glow, bike is running fine.

Manso72 - Is that straight thru pipes? as that I could understand, but with the udder/cat/convertor still inplace must still cause some back pressure? If my valves are shot, bike is runing fine... what would be the tell tail sign the valves are going??

Check the photo's, black lines are to the internal bit that glows red, the face of it. Holes I drilled.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess another point is, If it was lean my pipe colour should be grey/whitish?... my pipes are black and near sooty so it is rich then isn't?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts