Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
Iwould like them with red anodized levers. Not sure as it is. Red ano pressure plate to so it relates to more on the bike?

Other than that, tres cool!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Red Carbon ducts

I originally made them in black (see photo) by cutting a hole and "skinning" the original part. Then I got the idea to add a bit of colour to them so dyed some epoxy and this is what turned out. I put them on the bike and will leave them there for a while to see if I get used to it - it's different, that's for sure..... If I like it after a while, I may red coat the side radiator protectors to get more of a "tie" to the rest of the bike...

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
I originally made them in black (see photo) by cutting a hole and "skinning" the original part. Then I got the idea to add a bit of colour to them so dyed some epoxy and this is what turned out. I put them on the bike and will leave them there for a while to see if I get used to it - it's different, that's for sure..... If I like it after a while, I may red coat the side radiator protectors to get more of a "tie" to the rest of the bike...
Curious to see if you like them after a while and get used to them. The red color is not too "bright" - it adds a nice touch.
Do you still have the form to create more in black or red?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used the original part - it is still under the skin. BTW, I am now halfway back to black - the red just wasn't going to cut it...

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
i think if you are going to accent the bike with that scheme, you would hit it in key areas. Since the side panels are somewhat adjacent to that, those would spell out if the look would work. Sorta like a mid stripe on the bike, that allows you to stop and not do everything in red carbon. I sorta like that idea for the Red model, instead of just adding all black carbon.

So is the skinning permanent?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Are you going to sell any of these. I would like some to cover my plastic ones ?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't sell these as I am not set up to do it on a commercial basis. These are pretty easy to make. The carbon fibre is laid over the original part and "painted" with epoxy. Once it hardens (24 hours) dremel and sand to finish and then clear coat. If you want coloured carbon, you can put dye in the epoxy (like I did with the red ones) or you can have it sprayed with candy apple paint.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
where can I get this stuff do make them? Is this real carbon fibre? and yet it doesn't require a kiln?

I like the looks and think the red would look good on my white bike.
Chris

I don't sell these as I am not set up to do it on a commercial basis. These are pretty easy to make. The carbon fibre is laid over the original part and "painted" with epoxy. Once it hardens (24 hours) dremel and sand to finish and then clear coat. If you want coloured carbon, you can put dye in the epoxy (like I did with the red ones) or you can have it sprayed with candy apple paint.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Red Carbon Ducts

It is real carbon fibre. I used the original part as the base and "drape" the carbon fibre over the part (it's called a "wet" application). Use a green plastic garbage bag pulled tightly over the original part to keep the epoxied part from sticking to the base part. Once the epoxy cures (24hrs), pop it off, trim to fit, cut whatever hole you want and you're now ready to make it red (or any other colour you want). There are a couple of ways to do the colour change - transparent candy apple paint, or red dye added to another coat of epoxy. You will have to sand the part before finishing with clear coat. The red part you saw has gone through a number of iterations from raw carbon finish to polished red carbon to the final form which is polished black carbon with an expanded opening. See pics attached. It's not hard to do but requires a LOT of trial and error if you haven't done it before.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts