Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Has the brake from a Superlite, but can't see anything else that would support his claim that it is. The side panels/rear seat area are not Superlite items.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well, the upper triple clamp does contain the Superlight number plate (as it was a limited series). It also contain the underslung rear brake caliper attached to the frame instead of the swingarm. However, the pictures show a 2 person buddy (with cover), instead of the 1 person seat that the SL was delivered with. I'd ask the seller if I was interested in buying.

In my opinion there is only 1 SL that I would be interested in and that's the version with Marvic wheel with magnesium centres........

Jan

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Could somebody explain what makes this year and model a superlight? I thought the superlight was limited to a '93 model and said so on the fairing. Most if not all were yellow. Please explain this listing.

here - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Duca...les?hash=item3a516b99a0&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245
It's not a Superlight, at least not a US version. In the US the 1993 SL (only year SL) came with the two piece Marvic wheels and solo seat. In the UK they sold what were labeled a SL later than '93, but they were the same as an SP, which is what the one on ebay is. In the UK the SL's also came in red and yellow, but only yellow in the US.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I agree with Mark, in Europe the SP was called a Superlight, but it's the same as the US SS/SP version. Jan, the front of the rear brake torque rod attaches to the motor, not the frame. The caliper is attached to the swingarm.
Joe

·
Registered
692 Posts
Superlight...

Certainly NOT a Superlight. The only thing that makes this bike a Superlight is the owner putting it on the description! And asking price... still too much!! I rather pay 6K or more for a real Superlight with Marvics, solo seat and all the original panels and emblems!

·
Registered
938 Posts
I agree with Mark, in Europe the SP was called a Superlight, but it's the same as the US SS/SP version. Jan, the front of the rear brake torque rod attaches to the motor, not the frame. The caliper is attached to the swingarm.
Joe
Actually the caliper is attached to a carrier which pivots on the axle allowing the caliper to "float".

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well, according to Ian Falloon's "Ducati story", 1992 was the first year SL's were offered (with the 2-piece Marvic wheels, full floating front rotors, CF front mudguard and vented clutch cover). In 1993 however, a lot of the special parts were ditched and the full floating rear brake linkage was the only part to differentiate 1993's SL from a standard SS. According to Massimo Bordi, 1993's SL was a mistake.......
In 1994 many special parts returned on the SL; full floating front rotors, CF clutch cover, remote break/clutch fluid reservoirs and more.
1995 was the last year the SL was offered, being a 1994 SL model but now including oil temperature gauge and new windshield.

I guess my point is that the fact it doesn't have Marvic wheels doesn't necessarily mean it isn't a SL.

The Marvic wheels are the only thing I consider worthwile in a SL and are hard to come by nowadays. Just my 0.02

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
That is a 95 SP with carbon pipes and a fiberglass front fender instead of carbon.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the inputs. It looks just like my 1995 SS/SP used to when I bought it last November. Same wheels, gauges, panels, brakes, seat. Mine had all of the upgraded carbon parts available from Ducati plus the DP Gio.Ca.Moto carbon fiber slip-ons. I paid $5500 at a dealer so this is a little steep but it is a great bike in excellent condition. I hope somebody gets it and takes charge of these neo-classics like we do.

Mine has since had about $9K worth of add-ons that I know I will NEVER re-coup if I decided to sell it. 944 pistoli, nichols dual spark, yoyodyne slipper, three gauge upgrade added oil temp gauge and zeroed KM speedo, RED FE fairings, all new carbon fiber fenders, Galespeed 10 spoke polished forged aluminum wheels ebc rotors F & R, superbike calipers, cycle-cat clip-ons, upgraded oil cooler, ohlins rear, monster forks w/ ohlins innards.

If we were to put our bikes on ebay for what we have into them we would get laughed at by, well, us. Kind of wierd if you think about it. It is no wonder that these bikes get parted out.

Oh well, just a rant.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Upgraded oil cooler?

Please tell me more.

I've got to replace one with a broken mounting ear and maybe an upgrade is in order, especially since it's for my new 944 11:1.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts