Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just hitting 30000 miles on my 2012 Multi ABS. I've had all the usual niggles and problems ( fuel sensor, inconsistent-to-non-existentrear brake, etc), but still love the bike: as I tell my wife, it's way cheaper than a psychiatrist and lots more fun. About 3 years ago, I had a fuell seepage issue at the steel insert where the beak bodywork attaches on the right "ear" of the tank at the front. Used Permatex plastic repair kit and it held till last fall when renewed seepage gradually turned into a slow ( a few drops per day) leak. Took the tank out this spring and could see that the repair material had essentially dissolved. I called JB Weld and they recommended their plastic repair syringe; they told me it was compatible with gasoline ( I live in Idaho, so non-ethanol premium is readily available and is all I run). I sanded, cleaned and filled the insert and the area around it with their material. I put fuel in the tank and let it sit on the workbench for over a week; all good. Last week, renewed fuel smells led to another bodywork rermoval and the JB weld had softened and flexed enough that fuel is seeping past it, so tank is now out again. Clearly, these "fixes" have proven temporary at best: not to mention that its a PITA to get everything apart and the tank out. I"m now thinking Caswell coating the tank interior, but am concerned with a DIY app. Should I pay to have it done? Any recommendations where? Also wondered about buying a used tank and coating it, but obviously no guarantee that it would be any better than what I have. Another suggestion was to use a plastic welder around the insert, test for leakage/seepage and then epoxy it over. I'm gonna park the bike for now and do the belts and have the forks serviced, so most probably not gonna get in a lot more riding this year, so there is time for a proper/permanent fix. Fortunately, I have a 2008 Hypermotard 1100S to see me thru the remaining month or two of our riding season. Any suggestions or comments are most welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I have a friend that just sold his Multi, his was a 1000CC I think it was an 06 or around there. Ca. Cycle works sells an aftermarket tank and lists it for 1000 & 1100 Multis. My friend had one of these tanks that was new never mounted. I dont know which model Multi you have --But if yours is a 1000 or 1100 I'm sure he would sell it for a good price, I know they are $900 from Ca Cycle Works

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Multi was completely changed/redesigned with the 2010 model year, so the earlier tanks will not fit. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
too bad that would have saved you pretty easy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts