Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Tell us about your experience with the rectifier on your SC

• I still have the original rectifier with no overheating issues

Votes: 38 33.3%
  • I replaced the rectifier but had not actually experienced rectifier issues

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • My original rectifier failed

Votes: 29 25.4%
  • I moved my bike's rectifier and it has not failed

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • I moved my bike's rectifier but it failed anyway

Votes: 2 1.8%
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have seen several or more examples here of rectifier failure. So much so that some have come to consider replacing or moving the rectifier on an SC essential. Is it? Some statistical data may help us each decide.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My own choice on the poll - that I had replaced my rectifier but had not experienced a failure - likely is a odd-ball vote. It never had given me a lick of trouble in 9,000 miles but mice had made a nest under the seat during winter storage and nibbled on its leads.

-don

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I bought a mos-fet unit even though I'd had zero issues. It sat on my shelf for the better part of a year. When I went to install it, what to my surprise but I found the insulation leading into my R/R was turning brown from overheating! It was on the "bottom" side of the wires, so I didn't see it before the removal. Install went super easy, used the old wires leading into the R/R to adapt to the supplied new connector. No cutting of the loom, and it works great. Didn't bother moving it because I know the Mosfet units run cool and I like the protected location. Just used one of the stock screws and ignored the other one. Seems quite secure and fits well.

Looks like I dodged a bullet!

·
Registered
706 Posts
I moved mine under the pan right after buying the bike and have not had a problem with it so far.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Moved the one on my Bip to under the seat pan.

Older unit on Paul Smart is yet to be replaced, but I plan to swap it with MOSFET or an upgraded standard type unit, and relocate that into the airflow.

Neither actually caused me an issue, but pics of melted plastic have made me nervous, plus it's 30 degrees today.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I'm frightened to say that I've had no problems, as it's sure to fail now.

·
Official Retired Person
7,485 Posts
Under the guise of avoiding a potential failure, or worse, I replaced mine. During the process of replacing the original R/R I found that the lead wires were fairly toasted. No problem since.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I drilled a couple more air inlets into front of seat tray/frame and repositioned rec so that the fins were in flow of air as they are freaking useless if not longitudinal with air flow. Still started getting hot, replaced with a plug and play unit that JC got hold of, runs much cooler in same spot.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Swapped mine out with a newer OEM R/R (still gets really hot) and mounted it under the seat tray using the Motowheels kit. Still want to get a MOSFET unit in the future for better peace of mind.

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
81 Posts
My R/R died on the way home from buying the bike. As a bonus, there was a massive rainstorm that day. I bought a new battery to get me home without a tow.

Get the Mosfet unit from the Yamaha R1:Shindengen Fh012aa - I got mine used

Then order the Triumph Link Lead: t-2500676. Plug it in and be done with it. OR wait until it leaves you stranded. Your call.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
Swapped my working R/R out with the newer OEM R/R. The newer one is slightly different with cooling fins underneath and above. Will keep the original as backup.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
My R/R died on the way home from buying the bike. As a bonus, there was a massive rainstorm that day. I bought a new battery to get me home without a tow.

Get the Mosfet unit from the Yamaha R1:Shindengen Fh012aa - I got mine used

Then order the Triumph Link Lead: t-2500676. Plug it in and be done with it. OR wait until it leaves you stranded. Your call.
Does the Triumph Link Lead plug right in to the SC harness without modification? If so, I'm getting a MOSFET. Even the upgraded OEM double unit can fry eggs after only a couple of miles.

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Yes, excellent advice thanks!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Mine runs hot so moved it under the seat but now that I have a Lithium battery under the seat I have moved the regulator to the place where the old battery box was so even more cooling. Funny thing is I have a 2006 PS and S2R and the PS regulator runs way hotter than the S2R. Same motor and same year Ducati???

Jim

·
Registered
38 Posts
My original R/R left me stranded in the middle of the freeway. I replaced it with a newer OEM version with the double sided fins and cut a hold in the bottom of the seat pan. It remains cool even after my 1 hr commute.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 86 Posts