Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after daily riding on my 2012 MTS1200 PP daily in seattle through the winter, I finally got bit. I was on the way to the DoL to renew the tabs on my Speed Triple, just above freezing, and I hit some ice turning into a parking lot, maybe 7mph, and 'whoosh it was gone', down on the right side. I was fine, not even discoloration on my sore hip, and the bike came out pretty well, but not perfect. So I am reporting on lessons learned, and looking for parts and advice on replacement and prevention and others experiences

Damage:
right hand guard. Not surprising, i broke the left one in a driveway tipover. I thought abou5 carbon ones but these seem inevitable to break of they ever come close to the ground. And OEM ones ars cheap.

Speedymoto axle slider. Did its job well keeping my BST, Ohlins, and Brembos off the road. Havent decided if I will replace or leave the battle scar.

Speedymoto frame slider. Again did its job, nothing bent either!

Upper tank fairing. The saddest part. Got a good scuff on the outer corner, probably typical. Ironically I have some pull off fairings that the Previous owner gave me, maybe those should be my 'winter clothes' :)

CNC Racing folding brake toe peg. I spent the money on the CNC racing foot controls with folding toe pegs after my driveway tipover bent my shifter to hell.well, it didn't help as much as I wanted as the toe peg ripped its threads out of the bolt and came off instead of folded. From the scrapes it was hitting too close to the base Those buggers are $50 just for the toe peg, so that seems like it was a bad choice, though the adjustability is really nice. I think I can helicoil or glue to get the bolt to thread again. Pic is after I 'screwed' back together, you can see the pin where it pivots.

Luggage mount / passenger peg: This could have been worse. I didnt have my panniers on, thank goodness. I had my top box on and it popped open and dumped my stuff all over the road though. But my QD exhaust survived. Probably not bad to either sand and paint or replace.

Thoughts: I'd like to replace the tank fairing with OEM PP if I can find one (ebay is best option, or suggested sources?). Or maybe it's an excuse to get some full carbon tank fairings - the PP ones look so good though!

But I want to keep a small spill from scratching the tank next time a low speed tip happens. Any advice on protection? Would crash bars keep it off the ground ? Or has anyone seen "armor" that would just go on the outer corners of the tank fairing?

Hopefully my report is useful. In retrospect I can recognize what I could have seen about the road surface to realize i should have just driven on instead of trying to turn into the icy parking lot..

·
Super Moderator
5,376 Posts
that's my old bike, I miss her! glad you're OK and good reminder to stay ever-vigilant, I've been getting out the past several days for sub-freezing rides, the roads are clean by and large.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in love with this bike, so much fun to ride. I just wish i got a little better mileage / bigger tank for one more day of commuting between fill ups

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice report. I have tipped over my bike a few times losing my balance and the engine guard took care of the damage. I had to straighten the gear lever and get a new handguard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Glad you’re okay. I vote for new sliders. They are cheap and you may need the full slider to prevent bike damage if you go down again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. Good point on the new sliders @youpaiyou. I'd like to hear from someone with crash bars who's had tipovers - i have a feeling they may work two ways - either it tips less and reduces upper bike damage, or at higher speed the bike actuallu tips up on top of the crash bars and does MORE damage up top due to the higher picot point

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fyi - I did some searches and found a few threads. As i thought the damage spota are similar. The first poster als9 had the same idea of some type of tank protectors that attach to the outer tank. People seem to like the altrider crash bars though i didnt see any post crash pics. Barkbusters as well - those are a bit fugly but something to consider

Crash protection thread

Altrider bars plus denali lights install

Crash bar comparison
Crash bars, what do you guys like

Check out proitalia.com

·
Registered
42 Posts
New tank fairing is EXPENSIVE and I've never seen a used one on ebay that wasn't damaged. The previous owner of my MTS dropped it in the garage and put a good scuff in the same spot. I ordered some exact color match, wet sanded the spot until it was smooth and then painted it. With the clear coat on you have to look very closely to see that it's damaged. Give it a try for like $30 before you drop $500 on a new part.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New tank fairing is EXPENSIVE and I've never seen a used one on ebay that wasn't damaged. The previous owner of my MTS dropped it in the garage and put a good scuff in the same spot. I ordered some exact color match, wet sanded the spot until it was smooth and then painted it. With the clear coat on you have to look very closely to see that it's damaged. Give it a try for like $30 before you drop $500 on a new part.
Yeah, certainly worth a try. Since it's there is white vinyl decal over the tank right there did you just paint it white? Or was yours a different model with straight paint? Maybe i could somehow re-decal over it after sanding it ..

·
Registered
20 Posts
i use a sw motech cage to protect the bike. survived a tip over and a lowside without much damage on the bike. just the passenger peg like yours and a scratch rear brake lever. I also had some scuff on the handle bar slider.

The latter i removed the hand guards and put sliders on those.

Painted the scuffed cage and it looks new again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts