Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bringing a long dormant vy low mile ST4 up to snuff for use. Have done T-belts and most visual cues befit a sub 1,000 mile bike with an engine you can eat off, but then I have low standards! While I am refilling the coolant and remounting some body panels and see the water outlet for the vertical cylinder. WTH? Horizontal cylinder outlet looks new. I'm thinking a prophylactic replacement may be in order. Also I am not getting good throttle spring return. It is partial and slow. Best places to check for binding or more likely lube?
thx

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Lube the throttle cable.

For the water fitting, that can happen if the bike is neglected or sits for a long time. Coolant can seep by the hose fitting if it's a little loose. Many bikes will see a little coolant drip after a while and it normally takes a tweak on the hose clamp to fix it. Enough of that, for long enough time, you can see that kind of corrosion. Clean it up and repaint, or purchase a new one. I'd go the clean it up route, but if you're after pristine, that may not work for you.

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
The vert union looked like that on both of my ST4 motors. Just some bad coating quality. If you pull the hose and union off, you will see that it is just exterior crustiness.

The finish quality on the unions and engine covers is different than that of the heads and cases.

Whether it is creep or just bad factory tightening, it seems that the hose clamps are never tight enough. A lot of folks report weeps on new bikes. A friend had one completely blow off on his trip home from the dealer.

It is best to swap out the temp sensors with NAPA equivalent, as noted in other threads.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Great that you're reviving an oldie but a goodie. :)

Your upper hose looks like it's been spraying fluid onto the unit, or liquid is coming from above, can't quite see. In any event, you'd do well to consider replacing all the hoses, as they have a 10-year life. I went with silicone when my started to show their age, but it's pricey unless you can find a good deal. On the sticky, it may list hoses that can be purchased in an autoparts store, but I would buy OEM rather than hoses that have been sitting around.

Tires? Have you checked the date on the tires? The four digit markings on the side list the week and year made (e.g. 4207, the forty-second week of 2007). Older than seven years and I'd toss them. The rubber gets hard and then is like riding on wooden wheels. Fun for a time, but too much excitement for my blood.

Chances are that the throttle cable is both binding and in need of lube. I use the teflon spray and it keeps mine in good shape. Unlikely to be the return spring, in my opinion. You may wish to reroute the cable when you take it off the throttle for lube service, to ensure that you're not binding anywhere. Lube the linkage down by the intake manifolds as well, and be sure to use a lube that won't degrade the rubber sections of the intake.

Ride safe. I hope to get up to Maine at some point.

Ron

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No need to check the tire dates, they are original to the bike and not long for it! I wish I had seen the state of the cover before the fluid top off but I think I'll remove it and clean it up if for no other reason the be able to tell if it starts leaking again. I'll check the cable routing, I don't sense a real bind, I can always compare it to my ST2. Good advise to check all of the hose clamps while there as I have already found one leaker on the overflow tank.

Tires? Have you checked the date on the tires? The four digit markings on the side list the week and year made (e.g. 4207, the forty-second week of 2007). Older than seven years and I'd toss them.
Ron

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have a winner. It turns out the throttle grip clamp had taken a shot at one time and was ever so slightly bent. The housing cracked in two when I removed it. I replaced it with a good used and throttle snaps right back!

Chances are that the throttle cable is both binding and in need of lube. I use the teflon spray and it keeps mine in good shape. Unlikely to be the return spring, in my opinion. You may wish to reroute the cable when you take it off the throttle for lube service, to ensure that you're not binding anywhere. Lube the linkage down by the intake manifolds as well, and be sure to use a lube that won't degrade the rubber sections of the intake.

Ride safe. I hope to get up to Maine at some point.

Ron

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
fstntq - Glad you found the problem. Always very satisfying when the solution is at hand. :D

Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts