Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent 45 minutes searching for recommended tire pressures for the OEM Drago Super Corsa Pro tires that came on my Hayden 848. Nothing in the manual, nothing that I could find on the forum, nothing on Google or Pirelli's website, etc...

There has to be a guide or FAQ somewhere for this tire, right?

Anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
i would probably run about 31 or 32 psi in front and 30 to 32psi in the rear. Just what i would do but you may want to get some other opinions. i just figure the factory specs will probably say in the 40s and thats way to much.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Why do you say what they recommend is way to much. What about tire wear? I can see on the track, but for everyday street riding?? I don't now but they say that for a reason.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Another tire pressure question

The key question that I would ask is where will you ride the most? If you will use the bike for mostly commuting I would run pressure between 30-32 psi front & rear. If you ride in the canyons and ride moderatley aggresive I would run 30 front and 26 rear.

The harder you ride and the more you ride on the side of the tire the more they will heat up which raises the tire pressure.

With respect to tire life on the Dragon Super Corsas if you check the tire pressure prior to each ride with a quality tire guage which I do and highly recommend you may see 4000 miles on the front and 1800 to 2000 on the rear.

This is what I have found work best for me. I have played around with tire pressure somewhat. On my Paul Smart I run the Pirelli Corsa III's and run 32 front and 30 rear because they do not heat up as much. I also ride mostly in the canyons and fairly agressively.

Good luck.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Why do you say what they recommend is way to much. What about tire wear? I can see on the track, but for everyday street riding?? I don't now but they say that for a reason.
They say it for a reason is correct.
THEY have to take in account that you may weigh 250lbs, and your passenger, your girlfriend weights 200lbs. Now the both of you are heading down the highway for 200 miles at 90mph on a 500lb. bike. In this condition, YES you want that 40psi in the tires.

Manufacturers NEED to safegard themselves!!!! I've been told this from the OEM's directly, many times.......

These tires on the track "SC1's" which I use, pressures are in the low to mid-twenties.
The OEM compounds 31-32 front, 30-31 rear for the street will be your best traction. And if you ride fast on the street replacing tires is cheaper than bodywork/bones and leathers.......

Corsa III's on the street for my 999S is 32/31. Just common sense really.

If your a poser with 1" wide chicken strips and never ride more than the speed limit, then raise those pressures, as you will get more miles from any tire....

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They say it for a reason is correct.
THEY have to take in account that you may weigh 250lbs, and your passenger, your girlfriend weights 200lbs. Now the both of you are heading down the highway for 200 miles at 90mph on a 500lb. bike. In this condition, YES you want that 40psi in the tires.

Manufacturers NEED to safegard themselves!!!! I've been told this from the OEM's directly, many times.......

These tires on the track "SC1's" which I use, pressures are in the low to mid-twenties.
The OEM compounds 31-32 front, 30-31 rear for the street will be your best traction. And if you ride fast on the street replacing tires is cheaper than bodywork/bones and leathers.......

Corsa III's on the street for my 999S is 32/31. Just common sense really.

If your a poser with 1" wide chicken strips and never ride more than the speed limit, then raise those pressures, as you will get more miles from any tire....
But the OEM, in this case Ducati, might specify certain pressures, but does that not vary from tire to tire?

One tire like a Qualifier may prefer 34f/36r, while a Bridgestone BT016 wants 28-30 both front and back, for the street.

So going by what is in the bike owner's manual, may not be accurate, depending on what tire you use.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Spent 45 minutes searching for recommended tire pressures for the OEM Drago Super Corsa Pro tires that came on my Hayden 848. Nothing in the manual, nothing that I could find on the forum, nothing on Google or Pirelli's website, etc...

Check page 86 of your owners manual for a starting point.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check page 86 of your owners manual for a starting point.
How does the owner's manual help with specific tires? One tire wants 30lbs and another brand and model wants 36psi. The manual is a generic setting.

I want to know what THIS tire is happiest with. :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
I weight about 210lbs and used to run 28rear 29front but that is track pressure, for the street I would run between 30-32

·
19,081 Posts
How does the owner's manual help with specific tires? One tire wants 30lbs and another brand and model wants 36psi. The manual is a generic setting.

I want to know what THIS tire is happiest with. :)
Notice the last two words "starting point" . From there find out what works best for you.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Notice the last two words "starting point" . From there find out what works best for you.
I understand, and yet there are recommended tire pressures from the TIRE manufacturer, and those were what I was having trouble finding.

·
19,081 Posts
I understand, and yet there are recommended tire pressures from the TIRE manufacturer, and those were what I was having trouble finding.
Quite worrying about it. Unless you have a specific application in mind like racing on a certain track under specific conditions there is no such thing as one magical tire pressure guaranteed to be perfect for any tire. Just do what Ducati recommends and go out and enjoy riding that fantastic bike!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quite worrying about it. Unless you have a specific application in mind like racing on a certain track under specific conditions there is no such thing as one magical tire pressure guaranteed to be perfect for any tire. Just do what Ducati recommends and go out and enjoy riding that fantastic bike!
Alright then. I settled on 34psi front and back and will not worry about it anymore.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Call one of the Pirelli tire vendors, tell them your information and they'll provide you with recommened pressures. Here's a list of them by region directly from the Pirelli page...oh, Pirelli also has their own forumn
http://www.us.pirelli.com/en_US/browser/attachments/pdf/2009_Vendor_list.pdf

1 - 17 of 17 Posts