Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 1990 900SS and are selling my 97. I know many think I am changing to the inferior model, but I love the looks and actually sit better on the 1990. I know much can and have been done to these so I would like to know which modifications You recommend to improve the bike. Engine, electrics, forks, wheels the works.
The bike is supposed to already have the 851 clutch, hi comps and 40 Dellortos fitted
I have some parts left over from the 97 that were never fitted like a Andreani Misano cartridge kit a Nitron R3 rear shock (will try to rebuild this to the correct length) and FCR 41s as well as a couple of later 900 engines.
Should I look for some later 41mm USD forks and fit the cartridge kit or sell these and look for something else. Should I look for crowns with different offset from the original?
I know the wheels are the same as the Paso, are these woth saving or shouldI look for something else?
I also have two later 900 swingarm, one square from a carby and a ie /ds swingarm. Are any of these worth fitting?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
the engine has the narrow alt and crank is shorter on the left, and it has the early style clutch slave in the cover. a later engine will have the more reliable clutch slave on the left. apart from that, same as 91-97 engine really.

steering head bearings are smaller, but you can get a 32005/26 which will allow the later 91> ss triples to fit and then you can fit usd forks from later models. the std 40mm m1bb have teflon bushes, so you could adapt inserts into them if you wanted to stay with the original look. just keep in mind that having adjustment doesn't mean you have good suspension. lots of gsxr forks will go into later ss triples too.

shock will be much the same, as is swingarm. check it for cracks.

wheels are 17 from 851/900ss with 17mm axles, so heavy but otherwise ok.

battery box in front of carbs can hamper some carb fitments, but work around as required.

piss off the digiplex ignition and fit something else is a good idea. ignitech will go straight in, or can fit kokusan stuff as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, I think we might have talked on FB as well ;) If so I must say thank You for all the help Your info has given a Ducati novice when it came to modify the '97 and finding cams for the Pantah project as well!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts