Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I weigh 200lb and am 6'2. I put a lot of my weight on the front shocks and they ride really, really rough.

I simply do not have the money for Ohlins aftermarket shocks.

However, I heard that I could buy new springs and a denser fluid to replace the stock shocks. Can anyone link me to what I need exactly (and will fit an '09) and where to purchase it online?

Thanks,
Daniel

·
Registered
126 Posts
I weigh 200lb and am 6'2. I put a lot of my weight on the front shocks and they ride really, really rough.

I simply do not have the money for Ohlins aftermarket shocks.

However, I heard that I could buy new springs and a denser fluid to replace the stock shocks. Can anyone link me to what I need exactly (and will fit an '09) and where to purchase it online?

Thanks,
Daniel

Look at the posts in the suspension sticky there are a lot of good comments on suspension issues. The one that seems to be the most bang for the buck is upgrading to Race Tech springs that are correct for your weight, and a lighter weight oil. I just did it, and it makes a noticeable difference, and the cost is only about $130.00. Nick at Cogent Dynamics can answer any questions that you have, and set you up with what you need.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
you can also look for Monster S4R Showa forks, they're a direct bolt-on, much stiffer, and you can find them ranging from $500 to $800, ebay, craigslist.. .

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
That would be a whole 154 pounds. In the US, we weigh that much in elementary school. When are the italians gonna get fat?
:D

I am weighing 73 kg which is something like 160 pounds and the spring calculator says i will need a spring rate of 0,88…

So maybe the Ducati Spring in combination with their air chamber is good for up to 165 pounds but not more…

Wilbers progressive springs start at 0,9 and end 1,1

Hyperpro start at 0,8 and end at 1,3 and change spring rate continously

·
Registered
185 Posts
Springs

Hi mate don't know which continent you are on but if you are in Europe send your forks to Ktech or Maxton in the UK, in the US Race Tech are the boys to deal with them. I don't know about Oz but one of our friends down
under can help.

As for progressive springs - don't go down that route, speak to one of the aforementioned suspensions firms and they would fill you in on why you shouldn't do that.

Don't cheap out - the more investment you make the greater the reward, a quick fix is 15w oil. That would tide you over until you get round to doing the other changes.

Regards Nick1000

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
That's perfect. I weigh exactly that. Now if I just had some compression adjustment. :)
Compression is also dependable from the air chamber…

Get yourself a tool to open the fork… then you need a cheap tool to correct the oil level… now you can experiment very fast with various oil levels/air chambers.

Oil viscosity is the next thing. Some say heavier oil is the deal when the air chamber is reduced.

I decided to go with different springs too…

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm also 6'2". I weigh in at 190 (210 suited up probably). I just installed the Hyperpro progressives in my GT this past weekend...I love them!

I went back and forth over the decision (between single rate and progressive). I finally settled on progressive because my wife will ride with me a lot of the time. I'm just a recreational rider with no intentions of spending any time on a track. I figured with my overall weight varying (between myself and myself + my wife) that I needed something that could hopefully compensate for that.

I used the 15W oil that was provided with the springs. So far I'm happy with the decision.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I just installed the Hyperpro progressives in my GT this past weekend...I love them!

I used the 15W oil that was provided with the springs. So far I'm happy with the decision.
I will start with a mixture i guess… 12.5W was recommended by my mechanic.

But i have to wait for warmer days… today i snowed again in Bavaria.

I have ordered a OEM fork tool too, which still has to arrive…

·
Registered
421 Posts
you can also look for Monster S4R Showa forks, they're a direct bolt-on, much stiffer, and you can find them ranging from $500 to $800, ebay, craigslist.. .
+1 on this. Watch eBay, etc. and be a little patient- you can snag a nice pair for less than $500 sometimes. Also watch the classifieds here, but do it often, as something like this will go quick.

Search for threads on this- someone made a chart showing which forks will work, I think. For sure later Monster S2R, as mentioned S4r, and ST3/ST4 are a direct bolt in. Later SS forks are longer, but with no handlebars will work also.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Throw a WTB in the Classifieds...the kindly chaps at Gotham got back to me with a set of ST4's and i had em bolted on in no time. Huge difference :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts