Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watched a Paul smart with <400mi sell on eBay for 16k, the recent economy I’m sure has something to do with it I’m sure but does it feel like motorcycle sales in general are at a low? I could have sworn a paul smart no more than a few years ago would fetch at least 18k definitely more with such low miles.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Just watched a Paul smart with <400mi sell on eBay for 16k, the recent economy I’m sure has something to do with it I’m sure but does it feel like motorcycle sales in general are at a low? I could have sworn a paul smart no more than a few years ago would fetch at least 18k definitely more with such low miles.
I've had my 06 Sport 1000 for sale here for a couple of months now. Dropped the price $2k. No interest.
Maybe I'll keep it and create a place for it in my home, so many great memories associated.

- Michael

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had my 06 Sport 1000 for sale here for a couple of months now. Dropped the price $2k. No interest.
Maybe I'll keep it and create a place for it in my home, so many great memories associated.

- Michael
We’ll have to speak via PM, I may be interested, I just haven’t looked at shipping costs for motorcycles so I haven’t given out of state bikes any consideration.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Annual MC sales in the US are a little more than 1/2 what they were prior to 2008. The sportbike market is even worse with virtually nothing moving new or used. Harley's top line continues to decline over 5% a quarter, the latest being over 13%. Very bad news for a high overhead business.

It's what I call overall a "bad market".

·
Registered
883 Posts

- Michael
I had the same problem with mine I took off almost every upgrade put it back to
stock minus clip on's and tail tidy and it sold for $1500 more than I paid for it in
2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I can attest it's not limited to Sport Classics.

I've had my pristine RC8R on eBay for 4 weeks now, even with an attractive price. No bites.

Weird.

·
Registered
350 Posts
stock minus clip on's and tail tidy and it sold for $1500 more than I paid for it in
2 weeks.
It is a "weird" market to quote @DGJ. You managed to find the guy that had to have one and I think you were smart to take off the upgrades. Almost invariably, you get little for them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2 weeks.
It is a "weird" market to quote @DGJ. You managed to find the guy that had to have one and I think you were smart to take off the upgrades. Almost invariably, you get little for them.
I agree with this as well not only as a seller but as a buyer. I’ve had to do the same with previous bikes. As a buyer I can understand, a tidy tail and an exhaust are likely my first mods so I can appreciate those on a bike but when it’s modded to the wazoo you just can’t expect to get that money back as the chances of finding a buyer that wants all that same stuff anyways is slim to none.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Annual MC sales in the US are a little more than 1/2 what they were prior to 2008. The sportbike market is even worse with virtually nothing moving new or used. Harley's top line continues to decline over 5% a quarter, the latest being over 13%. Very bad news for a high overhead business.

It's what I call overall a "bad market".
I almost feel like it’s also generational. I don’t know how old you guys are but, a few years shy of 40 and have been riding for almost 13 years or so, I’m at a point in my life I can’t ride as often as I used to. The friends I used to ride with don’t even ride sportbikes anymore and have moved onto cruisers or nothing at all. The guys older than me I would imagine are more likely to be in this same boat and the generation 10+ years younger than me don’t really seem as interested in riding as I was at that age.

Or is this just the view of an “old man” LOL

·
Registered
350 Posts
I almost feel like it’s also generational. I don’t know how old you guys are but, a few years shy of 40 and have been riding for almost 13 years or so, I’m at a point in my life I can’t ride as often as I used to. The friends I used to ride with don’t even ride sportbikes anymore and have moved onto cruisers or nothing at all. The guys older than me I would imagine are more likely to be in this same boat and the generation 10+ years younger than me don’t really seem as interested in riding as I was at that age.

I think that pretty much sums up the issues with the market. I think the other issue is that the manufacturers have little in the way of starter bikes. My first bike a million yrs ago was a Honda CT90 for something like $4-500. Then another Honda and then a BMW, the latter mostly because the lunatic that taught me how to ride had one and I liked it. Certainly, I am no marketing guy and there are many other issues conspiring to make this market the worst I have ever seen.

·
Registered
944 Posts

I don't think you're wrong at all.....and I'm tad bit older than you. I'm 52 and the kids I work with seem bemused that I ride sport bikes at my age.

All my old riding buddies from my 20s have given up on sports bikes. The one's still alive anyway. Most cite their "old bones" not being able to handle the riding position or the firm suspensions.

I dunno, I hope to be able to continue riding my 996 and Aprilia for at least another 20 years....or until fossil fuel burning engines are outlawed all together.

I ain't in the best shape. 23 years of military service and a further 9 as a government worker is a life time of accumulated injuries. I don't feel the greatest when I get off a sports bike but I ain't horrible either.

I think your generational observation is spot on. As a tiny, unscientific and completely conjectural bit of supporting evidence I look at the barracks parking lot.

Back when I lived in the barracks the parking lots were full of bikes and hot rodded cars. Now, there are few bikes and almost no hot rodded cars.

I'll leave it at that. I think that minor observation illustrates where our society has gone.

Tinkering with mechanical things has given way to algorithms and toying with programming. Actual trial and error learning has given way to youtube videos. Just the way it is now.....sean

·
Registered
1,739 Posts

It's so true. I was 31 when I bought my sport classic. I rode the shit out of it up and down the California coast, logging 300+ miles per day easily with no sweat.

I'm approaching 43 now and, (maybe it's because I lowered the clip-ons and put on rear sets), I can't ride the classic more than 2 hours. Last year I bought an adventure bike, and that's now my work horse while my classic is enjoying her garage queen status. I'll never sell it, I love it too much, and riding it is like going on a date with your first love. But I just rode up and down to Laguna Seca from LA, logging 450 miles of twisties each day on my ADV bike and it was like nothing.

most of the guys I ride with went from sports bikes to adv bikes. that's where the market is at its strongest I think, considering they make adv bikes with super bike performance.. it's hard to beat.

The sport classic has always been for a limited market. Most of them have found their homes. I'd imagine with patience you'd find the right buyer, but it's definitely a buyer's market now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree with a lot of the comments, but also remember these are high end, higher dollar, disposable income toys for the most part. I know some ride their Ducati as a daily, but probably not the majority. In the Japanese market I think used bike prices have gone up a lot over the past 5 years, especially the more exotic or rare bikes like the Kaw H1 or H2, Suzuki GT series, early Honda CB 750, and now people are importing all of the 90's era two stroke sport bikes into the US. I think if they qualify for a classic or historical bike they can by-pass emissions or somerthing like that to get them here. I have sold a few bikes this year in the $3000-$5000 range pretty quick this year.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Man all of you kids are bumming me out! I will turn 70 on the 15th of next month and thanks to you working kids I'll be getting my first Social Security check! And I rode my S1K Mono about 160 miles through the wilds of Wisconsin on Sunday. I would have gone farther but it was hot in my leathers and I had things I needed to do around the house to maintain domestic tranquility...but it wasn't because I was old. Or tired. One of my favorite authors is Richard Bach and he said: "Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours." So quit acting like you are all a bunch of "old" dudes and go ride your sport bike like you're still a kid. If you start thinking and acting like you're old you're going to die.

Terry

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with a lot of the comments, but also remember these are high end, higher dollar, disposable income toys for the most part. I know some ride their Ducati as a daily, but probably not the majority. In the Japanese market I think used bike prices have gone up a lot over the past 5 years, especially the more exotic or rare bikes like the Kaw H1 or H2, Suzuki GT series, early Honda CB 750, and now people are importing all of the 90's era two stroke sport bikes into the US. I think if they qualify for a classic or historical bike they can by-pass emissions or somerthing like that to get them here. I have sold a few bikes this year in the $3000-$5000 range pretty quick this year.
I sorta agree there was a boom for 70’s era CB’s and prices skyrocketed, but now you see the same bikes listed for ridiculous amounts and not selling and there are even those that were bought with the markup, made into basket cases and now being listed for in my opinion (having 4 Honda CB’s) stupid amounts. I’m just gona vent here because all these people romanticized about bringing a bike back to life only to get overwhelmed by their boxes of parts and then trying to make their money back.

There is some truth to ducati’s being a high dollar item though and thus making sales low because if I’m not mistaken, the scrambler is ducati’s Best selling bike at the moment, which should give some explaination as to the current market and riding demographic

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Well, there's another way to look at the used bike market at present; it's a buyer's market!

:wink2:

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
That’s true, but now I have to consider that when in the market; It is probably going to be a bad investment. Bikes aren’t selling. Where I live I don’t see younger guys or kids riding them anymore. The only motorcycle events I go to that I see kids at are the ones that are in the middle of town. Young guys don’t have the disposable income they used to, not enough for a motorcycle , anyway . Not one of the younger people in my family show any interest at all in motorcycles. I’ve been riding about 57 years or so, but I just started riding sport bikes 10 years ago. My great grandson, 6, rides an electric dirt bike. He’s the only person I know under 40 riding a motorcycle.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That’s true, but now I have to consider that when in the market; It is probably going to be a bad investment. Bikes aren’t selling. Where I live I don’t see younger guys or kids riding them anymore. The only motorcycle events I go to that I see kids at are the ones that are in the middle of town. Young guys don’t have the disposable income they used to, not enough for a motorcycle , anyway . Not one of the younger people in my family show any interest at all in motorcycles. I’ve been riding about 57 years or so, but I just started riding sport bikes 10 years ago. My great grandson, 6, rides an electric dirt bike. He’s the only person I know under 40 riding a motorcycle.
I agree that it is a generational thing. Nowadays opinions and "whats cool" is dictated by the media. Look at sport classics, Ducati had trouble selling them and then they blew up in value partly because they had one in a movie and some cool dude was riding it. Oh and also people are more worried about riding just so they can post something on social media because if you didn't post it did you actually do it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Oh and also people are more worried about riding just so they can post something on social media because if you didn't post it did you actually do it.
^^^THIS^^^
Or at least, a whole lot of it. I work with kids. At 52 I'm the oldest guy in my office. Only one of our secretaries is older. One kid I work with is the same age as my oldest son. Another, is the same age as my youngest son. Exactly the same age in fact, they share the same birth date.

What I glean from all the interaction with coworkers the same age as my kids is that there is a great deal of the above going on. People do stuff solely so they can post it on social media. Kind of a "look what I did, look what I did" brag.

Even the kids I work with recognize it. They have an incredibly important job, but don't go bragging about it on social media. Most of them use it to keep up with friends but that's about it.

We've had conversations about it, and all of us actually agree that no one wants to know what the hell we're doing on a daily basis.

I just don't care what other people do to be honest. I don't. I don't even want to know if you're feeling "Meh". Seriously, I don't care.

You rode your brand spanking new sports bike on Hwy 1? Good for you, I still don't care.

As for age, and the whole, you're only as old as you feel thing....
I don't feel too old for riding sportsbikes, in fact, I ride a bicycle daily to keep myself in shape to continue to ride them.

I do feel old beyond my 52 years though. I put my body through the wringer when I was younger and now I'm paying for that.

Mentally though, I don't feel like I ever grew up. I still like doing things on the spur of the moment. I still think like I did when I was 18....at least to a point. Now a days I ask myself before jumping in with both feet, "Self, how are we gonna feel tomorrow if we do this?" :grin2:

If I answer myself with a "not good" I have to then reanalyze both my mental state for talking to myself in 3rd person and what I have to take care of tomorrow. :grin2:

The good part is, most of the time I just say damnit, I'm just gonna do it because I want to....I want to before I get too old.....sean

1 - 20 of 45 Posts