Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Plastic welding would require a repaint. I would try Permatex Hysol of which there are many formulations. Probably a plastic panel but forget the number for plastic. The stuff can be worked into the crack and then clamped - all this of course with the panel off. A fiberglass panel is easier to fix since you could glass the crack from underneath with milled glass fibers and cyano.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No bigger than that is, I would fill the crack with a quick drying epoxy and then use a touch up pen to paint over it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen a couple different Loctite Hysol and also familiar too with epoxies. Just need to pick the correct one, there's so many out there. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I remember quite some time ago a body shop using some sort of schmutz to repair a plastic Ducati fairing on a customer's bike. The stuff was extremely strong, but I can't remember what it was. It may be worth a few calls so you don't have to experiment on a piece you want to keep.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You could sand off the paint from the bottom and epoxy on a thin scab of aluminim (drill the clearance hole first).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Or use some 3M automotive trim double sided tape on a thin washer and stick it to the bottom side.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I got my ST2, it had all sorts of broken/cracked tabs in the fairing - apparently from parking lot/garage drops. My research led me to Plast-Aid, which worked very well with no failure of any repair over the last 4 years. I haven't dropped it, however. I even "replaced" a missing bit of a lower section by using aluminum foil as a form and filling with the Plast-Aid material. The only issue is that the material shrinks as it cures, so it took a couple of layers to get the thickness I wanted.
I bought the "big" kit, and still have more than half of it.
Good Luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts