Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have my sportbike but have come to realize something is missing. It's the ability to travel long distance. I want something comfortable to ride 8 hours a day on a trip. I have begun looking for a 620 Multistrada but am concerned it won't have the power. Coming from my ZX-6R would I be underwhelmed by it? I am 6'1" and 250lbs if that is worth knowing. The 620 is on the list because it should keep the gas mileage and insurance costs reasonable.

Are there other bikes I should consider? I am not totally into the sport tourers yet but would like the ability to carry hard luggage.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Nothing like a MTS 1100 if you're into travel, 2v motor, plenty of power and comfort. Or wait for the strsda aperta to come out, 4v 1098 engine.
I can't believe anyone looking for power would consider the 620.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I love my sportbikes but also own a concours. Mine is an `06 (older generation). I wouldnt be without one. Between the 2 connies I`ve had I`ve logged over 200K without one mechanical issue. Hell the `06 has 80K on it and I havent even had the spark plugs out. It was $7500 new. Decent used ones can bge found for $2-4K.
Check out the concours owners group forum. It is one of the better ones.
www.concours.org

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing like a MTS 1100 if you're into travel, 2v motor, plenty of power and comfort. Or wait for the strsda aperta to come out, 4v 1098 engine.
I can't believe anyone looking for power would consider the 620.
That sort of answers the question.... I didn't say I was looking for all out power, I just wanted to make sure it's enough. The guy I will most likely be riding with has a Kawi Versys and I want to make sure we're comparable. For all out power I've got the ZX-6R (which is enough) or may end up ina an '08 848. I just can't get the pearl white one out of my head. I was looking at the 620 as a used tourer, mostly afraid that the 1100 would be too costly to insure. I've got State Farm so the insurance cost is based solely on the number of CCs. Well, maybe not completely but it does seem to be the largest factor.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My wife has a 600 monster, and a buddy has a 620MS. I'm similiar size to you and found that although the power is soft on those bikes, it's more then enough to violate every speed limit in the country, and do it faster then 99% of the cars out on the road. Do they have enough power for touring? Of course, so long as your expectation is legal pace and not power wheelies. Consider all the people touring on KLR650 or BMW 650GS. In fact, on a twisty road, both Ducatis have a wonderful weight advantage over the 1100, that makes up for some of the considerable power difference.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Don't forget about the ST2/3/4's. They don't make them anymore, but used ones can be found pretty easily.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Check out a 2007-8 BMW K1200S. More than enough power and plenty of comfort to tour.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check out a 2007-8 BMW K1200S. More than enough power and plenty of comfort to tour.
I currently have an 08 K1200S, but I've been having stalling issues... It is a good tourer, very comfortable, but if they can't fix my problems, I'm getting a multi. The K1200S is great if you are doing 2-up. Best 2-up bike I have been on... I just added a givi topcase for the missus to use as a backrest, and to store our gear. The problem is the fueling is horrible compared to my previous bikes. My SS1000DS that I got rid of had much more satisfying power delivery. The K12 has gobs of top end power, but where can I go 150mph??

Just a personal preference, but I would go for a Ducati before the BMW based on my experience so far. The Duc is lighter, more flickable, and gets better gas mileage too. Plus, I hate that I can't work on my K12S... it is too freakin complicated. Anything over an oil change is a major hassle and production.

Check out the 1000DS Multis (or 1100 if you can afford it). That is a great motor, and is excellent for the street.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Wait

Hello all,

I have my sportbike but have come to realize something is missing. It's the ability to travel long distance. I want something comfortable to ride 8 hours a day on a trip. I have begun looking for a 620 Multistrada but am concerned it won't have the power. Coming from my ZX-6R would I be underwhelmed by it? I am 6'1" and 250lbs if that is worth knowing. The 620 is on the list because it should keep the gas mileage and insurance costs reasonable.

Are there other bikes I should consider? I am not totally into the sport tourers yet but would like the ability to carry hard luggage.
Well, the new Multistrada 1200 for 2010 has the potential.
New, Honda VFR1200 has the potential.
BMW K1300S/GT is a contender (brother is 6'2" and 250lbs, rides it all over the country)
Kawi Concours

I rode the Tiger and was not inspired, some may like it. Bet you could get a good deal on a Buell Ulysses right now.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Reccomend me a Duc

I like Mallards, but a Pintail or Ruddy duck will do too.

At 250 or so, I'd get a big bore something or another. But that is just my opinion. I know some giant guys that ride 600s, but it's like a monkey screwing a football.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I threw this up a while ago, but check it out and see what the fates of the internet have in store for you.
Cool, I'm a superbike guy it seems :)
I can live with that ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reccomend me a Duc

I like Mallards, but a Pintail or Ruddy duck will do too.

At 250 or so, I'd get a big bore something or another. But that is just my opinion. I know some giant guys that ride 600s, but it's like a monkey screwing a football.
I have no interest in doing that to a football. I am beginning to look for the 1100 bikes used. I am curious though... what's the longest people ride comfortably on a Monster or Hypermotard?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have no interest in doing that to a football. I am beginning to look for the 1100 bikes used. I am curious though... what's the longest people ride comfortably on a Monster or Hypermotard?
How old are the people? In my youth I went two 600 mile days back to back on a Honda CL450. Compared to a CL450 riding a Monster or Hypermotard is like riding a Goldwing. Don't ask me to do it today, but I think I could ride all day on either. Maybe not multiple day rides but one day at least. The Hypermotard with its' smaller gas tank might be easier due to more stops, and a more comfortable (for me at least) seating arrangement

·
Registered
238 Posts
No kidding! I rode the entire Cali coast, on HWY 1 on my 916, with fellow riders on GSXR and TLR torture racks. We had great time. Riding across the country on a HyperM should be a breeze.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts