Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems people are using "recall" and "TSB" interchangeably when referring to the known issues with these bikes, but aren't they very different terms?

TSB (technical service bulletin) - communication from the manufacturer to its dealers identifying a known issue and the steps to resolve it.
Recall - when a safety-related problem is identified, the manufacturer volunteers (or is forced by a third party) to resolve it at no cost to the customer regardless of warranty status.

Therefore, while all recalls will have TSB's, not all TSB's are recalls, and therefore not all free outside of warranty (good will aside).

So for all of the known issues, which are actual safety recalls, and which are simply TSB's? Am I missing any on this list?

- CAN BUS filter
- starter
- ignition coil packs
- '13-'14 clutch pack
- throttle control
- missing seal on upper steering head bearing
- ECU update

·
Registered
406 Posts
It seems people are using "recall" and "TSB" interchangeably when referring to the known issues with these bikes, but aren't they very different terms?

TSB (technical service bulletin) - communication from the manufacturer to its dealers identifying a known issue and the steps to resolve it.
Recall - when a safety-related problem is identified, the manufacturer volunteers (or is forced by a third party) to resolve it at no cost to the customer regardless of warranty status.

Therefore, while all recalls will have TSB's, not all TSB's are recalls, and therefore not all free outside of warranty (good will aside).

So for all of the known issues, which are actual safety recalls, and which are simply TSB's? Am I missing any on this list?

- CAN BUS filter
- starter
- ignition coil packs
- '13-'14 clutch pack
- throttle control
- missing seal on upper steering head bearing
- ECU update
There were no actual recalls that I know of. The only TSBs were the can bus filter, TCU, seal, and maybe the ecu update.

The big difference is that if you go to the website and enter your VIN in the recall section, you will get " no recalls" info because they're TCUs and you might think you're in the clear. A little misleading on ducati's part - certainly an unnecessary potential for confusion.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So no TSB for the ignition coil packs? I guess that means there's no updated part number then, and it's just the luck of the draw if it bites me down the road? Is there a way to tell if I have the latest ECU update just by going through the dash screens?

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you get the canbus filter put on, there should be no problem with the coils. That's its purpose. If you don't get the filter, yes, you are on your own. It's free.

A dealer should be able to tell you all the updates the bike has gotten.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you get the canbus filter put on, there should be no problem with the coils. That's its purpose. If you don't get the filter, yes, you are on your own. It's free.

A dealer should be able to tell you all the updates the bike has gotten.
I just read that the TSB filters only protect the dash, and that some people have had their ECU fried because of the noise coming from the coils. They are advocating replacing them with the Eldor coils from some Aprilia models?

·
Registered
406 Posts
The dash and coils would be a double fry package. When the coils fried, the dash fried. Pretty sure the filter is for both. Ducati has done goodwill repairs in the past, so if you have the filter and the coils fry, they'll probably fix it. Haven't heard of that yet.

The TSB thing can be misleading because the website has a Recall finder based on your VIN. TSBs won't show up - I don't think this is a good way to go about things.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is also a TSB for the throttle control module for 2013 2014 hypers. Weird because my 2013 has not had it done but the batch numbers on my actual plug say it is not needed.
I suspect from recalling my tour of the factory they just throw a bunch of harnesses into a box together with different batches and when a tech grabs one at random it goes onto a bike with plug "C" then the next one grabs from the same box but it is plug "E"...LOL the really funny thing is that when I was there in 2012 they were rolling out the first of the 821's and I asked what is that behind the curtain...they said "oh um datza a newa bike we can't showa you that!" It could have been MY new to me now 821!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts