Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read a lot of stories about rebuilding a a bike, the do's and the don'ts.

To begin my story I bought my bike almost 10 year ago.

At that moment I didn't knew the difference between the Ducati types.
In my opinion you had: Biposto that was a two seater and Monoposto, a one seater!
And than you had, 916 that was the model and you had 748, 996, 998.
So I bought a 748SP, never noticed the SP part?

Within one year there was something wrong with the bike, I didn't knew what but it didn't felt good.
I brought my bike the the nearest Ducati dealer and asked to take a look.
The next day the dealer called me and say, please take a seat...,
Never heard of it but It was the flaking rocker problem???
My engine needed a rebuild cause there was all ready a lot of damage.
Costs: € 4000,- ($5000,-)
So my toughts were to buy a new engine.
He told me not to buy a new engine cause you never know the history and you might buy some new problems.
And your bike is a SP so she's worth it!
SP whats an SP?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
€4500,- was a lot of money but now I had a Blueprinted bike.
The engine was as new from that moment and the dealer asked me to come back after 1000km's for a test run.
And that was 2003.

Now It's 2012 and I've got the 1000 km's on the counter...
This is not good!

Alot of rubber parts dried out, tyres, hoses, belts and I can't see whats happened inside the engine?

Time for the rebuild.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The last pictures were taken a few weeks ago,

This is the engine at my local dealer for its great maintenance.
The costs weren't that high this time.

Now I've got the engine back home.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The color of the engine covers wasn't really the color I wanted.

The covers were taken off so I asked, can you give the covers that typical gold color? (magnesium) Sure, no problem..., the old or the new color gold?
Ehm..., the bike is a '98 model so I guess thats old?

When the engine returned this morning I flipped a bit..., this is not the color I wanted! So I contacted the guy and he says, You wanted the Old color!
(this is the old color, a ducati color from the '70) Yes thats old nobody can argue about that!!

If I wanted the '98 color I had to choose the NEW color.
But anyway the paintjob is very well done so for the time being i'll leave it this way.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, why is this topic called "Black on Black"
When you put all the small parts together your bike (my bike) looks a bit like a Christmas tree.

There is gold..., but there are different kinds of gold.
And there is red..., in so many ways.
So I decided..., There is one color always the same...,

BLACK!!!

These aluminum parts are NOT painted but all anodized in BLACK.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
But we we're not talking about black.
We were talking about "Black on Black"

So the base got to be BLACK.

The frame is powder coated "Black 70% gloss".
100% gloss is like wetlook and looks very nice but not for a frame.
And 70% gloss is the nearest to the anodized parts.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Fun project. Tearing these bikes down to bare frame and completely rebuilding them is tedious and time consuming but VERY rewarding in the end.

I rebuilt and modified my 748 last winter, and am currently rebuilding my 748R right now as well.

Looks like you've got a really good idea of the direction you want to go in. That gold is a little flashy lol, but I bet it will end up contrasting well against the black hardware and frame.

Best of luck on the project, can't wait to see the end result.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Another miscommunication....

I wanted to do the 848/748 fork swap.
In the first place I wanted the 1098s Ohlins fork.
But a lot of people told me not to use the OEM fork but to look for the R&T.
Or..., buy the Showa fork for less and do a rebuild
So I bought a 1098 fork (for the BLACK lower parts) and brought it to a suspension tuner.
They inserted some Ohlins pistons and springs for my weight.
And if you may believe them, this should be a better fork then OEM Ohlins?

And here is another color issue...,
I asked for Ohlins Black (like the SBK bikes and Desmosedici's)
The fork returned in Ohlins Gold.
So I asked..., GOLD???? I wanted Ohlins BLACK for my "Black on Black" project.
In their opinion there was only one Ohlins color and that was GOLD.
Now my fork looks like a Ohlins wannabe!

Will be continued! In the mean time I'll search for an R&T to anodize in BLACK.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fun project. Tearing these bikes down to bare frame and completely rebuilding them is tedious and time consuming but VERY rewarding in the end.

I rebuilt and modified my 748 last winter, and am currently rebuilding my 748R right now as well.

Looks like you've got a really good idea of the direction you want to go in. That gold is a little flashy lol, but I bet it will end up contrasting well against the black hardware and frame.

Best of luck on the project, can't wait to see the end result.
FUN PROJECT..., Yes! Thanks Danbuc, why do only people on this forum understand me?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is gold..., but there are different kinds of gold.
And there is red..., in so many ways.
So I decided..., There is one color always the same...,

BLACK!!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Something went wrong with Photobucket looks like I've lost some pics. ;(

Time to reassemble the rear swing.

I've bought new o-rings, sealrings and bearings 'cause the old ones were a bit rusty that can't be good.
The swing is sandblasted and powder coated in a typical gold color 70% gloss without mettalic. This was the color I wanted for the engine covers.

New bearings

After cleaning the thread I've glued the nut back in.

Some new O-rings in the black anodized caliper hanger, at this pic it's upside down. I'm glad I've noticed before I attached the PIA cir clip.

Last but not least, the new chain slider and were ready to fit in!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some new bearings and sealrings in the rocker.

The reassembled ride height adjuster anodized in black with some new bearings as well. According to the manual the length should be 261mm

Everything bolted together

As rear sprocket carrier I'm using a black SSR cnc machined aftermarket carrier with a required spacer cause my bike is a pre 2000 model.
The black quick change carrier is from STM with some titanium bolts that holds the aluminum sprocket. The black sprocket- and wheelnuts are from SSR as well.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,866 Posts
The reassembled ride height adjuster anodized in black with some new bearings as well. According to the manual the length should be 261mm

I can't confirm that figure but I would think it would be measured "on center", not as you have it in the photo.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Nice! Id like to see that swing to the frame.

Its noted in c/c like 916 says. However its relative to your bike and how it feels riding.
While apart, check how many threads there are available and then go test irl what you like.
One turn on the ride height adjuster is a LOT :)

Ive ridden my bike accidentaly in the bottom (put the bike together from empty frame and then tracked it and missed out) and it works fine, although the turning in suffers, but you can force that. On the street you really want to get it right, and look - turn is fully possible.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Next thing to re-assemble is the steering excenter hub.
The lower fork clamp is sandblasted and coated in 70% gloss black.
Some new bearings. My dealer had only one dust-cap in stock but I think I can re-use an old one.

I reassembled the excenter out of the frame 'cause it's much easier to work on a table. (A bike lift in my case) then in the air.

The steering stem nut is anodized in black.

The 1098 forklegs

I've found this triple clamp on a local marketplace, tought it was some kind of aftermarket product but after some research an the help of this forum it seams to be genuine 748r. It is hard Anodized in black now. I still have the badge with Ducati 748R No.0000.
You can see the holes were it was attached

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Subscribed!

Great start... I don't mind the gold forks, but it depends on the rest of the bike for sure...

I've seen some people wrap their forks in vinyl (sounds kinda cheese ball but it didn't look bad in the end) anyway keep up the good work.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
At the rear I'm using a 999R caliper, in the first place the only reason was the color to match the front brake calipers.
The 999R is a P34 caliper and the 748 a P32.
The brake pad surface of a P34 pad is 16,1 cm2 against 12,5 cm2 on the P32 brake-pad. I'm not sure if thats's really an upgrade but a larger brake-pad surface and a bigger caliper piston can't make it worser, correct me if I'm wrong!

Is there any difference between the rear brake master cylinders?
I'm using a rear brake master cylinder of a 1098 and I can't find any technical info of these latest generation parts?

And everything bolted together.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Looks Awesome. I love the rear caliper upgrade. Is the rear caliper the same for the 999s and 999r?

1 - 20 of 236 Posts