Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the rear Ohlin shock there is a rebound adjustment screw just above the chain thru a hole, I need to soften it up but I can't figure out what tool, let along the size needed to do it. I tried metric and standard Allen wrenches. none of them fits, is there a special socket for it?
Any help would be appreciate. Thanks!

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
The allen wrench is correct, but it needs to be the kind with the beveled head, the ever so popular ball driver.

Amazon or you local auto parts store might have a set.

The fact that you cannot put an allen wrench in to adjust it, just seems like an afterthought...

To adjust rear shock, dismantle bike. Adjust shock, put bike together.
Kidding aside, the proper wrench does work. I can't remember if it's the same size as the magic hex wrench under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having a hard time finding the rear rebound damping adjustment. The figure in the owner's manual is not help to me.

Has anyone else found the rear damping adjustment?

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The allen wrench is correct, but it needs to be the kind with the beveled head, the ever so popular ball driver.

Amazon or you local auto parts store might have a set.

The fact that you cannot put an allen wrench in to adjust it, just seems like an afterthought...

To adjust rear shock, dismantle bike. Adjust shock, put bike together.
Kidding aside, the proper wrench does work. I can't remember if it's the same size as the magic hex wrench under the passenger seat.
I have 1 set of metric, 1 set of SAE with the ball end, 1 set of T SAE and 1 set of metric of those, none of them fits. 3mm is too big 2.5 is too loose, 1/8 is not the one either. Shining a flash light in the hole it looks like a different fitting than a Allen so I was just wondering if anyone has done it yet; my tailbone is killing me. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I am having a hard time finding the rear rebound damping adjustment. The figure in the owner's manual is not help to me.

Has anyone else found the rear damping adjustment?

yuma, rear rebound damping is on page 67 manual, you access thru the hole mentioned in this thread, it's a 1/2" size hole you can see just above the chain and directly below the spring. for standard streetfighter from fully closed (clockwise) two turns counterclockwise, streetfighter S from fully closed (clockwise) 10 clicks counterclockwise.

Hope this helps.
Chris

·
3,234 Posts
3mm is the correct size. same as the fork adjusters/multi purpose magic wrench from under the pass. seat. You just have to put it in right (that's what she said).

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
amazing we were talking about that tool yesterday morn, I had an idea what allen head wrenches you were talking about but wasn't compmletly sure, thanks for the pic!
Chris

3mm is the correct size. same as the fork adjusters/multi purpose magic wrench from under the pass. seat. You just have to put it in right (that's what she said).

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, sorry for being so hard headed but to me that GD thing is just as useless as tits on a bull. I don't know if you did it Bill but unless we have a different wrench, that thing doesn't even reach the hole, let along being able to putting it in the right way; is so short it hits the swing arm before the other end meets the shock, I tried with a 3mm Craftsman ball end, wich is about 2" longer but the angle won't let you getting it in, I tried the shorter one by going around the hole, (in the shock side), and even then, it won't reach the socket hole because the shock spring hits the Allen key first.
Is there anyone out there that actually has done this?
Should just won't cut it as far as I can see it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK, sorry for being so hard headed but to me that GD thing is just as useless as tits on a bull. I don't know if you did it Bill but unless we have a different wrench, that thing doesn't even reach the hole, let along being able to putting it in the right way; is so short it hits the swing arm before the other end meets the shock, I tried with a 3mm Craftsman ball end, wich is about 2" longer but the angle won't let you getting it in, I tried the shorter one by going around the hole, (in the shock side), and even then, it won't reach the socket hole because the shock spring hits the Allen key first.
Is there anyone out there that actually has done this?
Should just won't cut it as far as I can see it.
Thanks!
LaRossa, You make me feel better. I agree the angle to approach the adjustment is wrong while the bike is on the side stand. I also ask if anyone has accomplished adjusting the rear damping. I am thinking perhaps raising the tail of the bike up so the swing arm moves down may help.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Just did it on my standard SF. Used the long end of a ball type hexhead wrench as pictured in Bill's post, length of the wrench was 3.75". I back lit it to see the screw itself, slipped right in and probably had 2" to spare. This was with bike on the ground.

Here's a pic

Chris

Attachments

·
3,234 Posts
I bought my set at AutoZone. Here's a pic of the wrench in the hole.

I think if you do unload the shock by somehow lifting the tail, you get a straighter shot at it like previously posted, not sure what you would lift up on though, plus when I got mine, the amount of spring preload had the rear end up all the way and hard as a brick. When I was at NPR a few weeks back, they found the damper was also on full hard. Kinda rough on a guy who only weighs 155 pounds. I still wonder if the stock spring is too much. I need to find more info on what weight person it is rated for. Any other "lightweights" wondering the same?

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At this point, I'm gonna have to blame the allen key for not having enogh ball end, I'll try to get a different tomorrow and see what happens.
Bill, yours is an S with Ohlins right? Just want to make sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
At this point, I'm gonna have to blame the allen key for not having enogh ball end, I'll try to get a different tomorrow and see what happens.
Bill, yours is an S with Ohlins right? Just want to make sure.
LaRossa,
I just picked up this set at Harbor Freight, $7.99 for the set. Now I can make the adjustment with this 3mm wrench.

A Chinese tool to adjust an Italian product.

Attachments

·
3,234 Posts
Yes on the S, and I bought the Duralast brand hex wrenches at autozone. Wish they were a tad longer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought my set at AutoZone. Here's a pic of the wrench in the hole.

I think if you do unload the shock by somehow lifting the tail, you get a straighter shot at it like previously posted, not sure what you would lift up on though, plus when I got mine, the amount of spring preload had the rear end up all the way and hard as a brick. When I was at NPR a few weeks back, they found the damper was also on full hard. Kinda rough on a guy who only weighs 155 pounds. I still wonder if the stock spring is too much. I need to find more info on what weight person it is rated for. Any other "lightweights" wondering the same?
I did mine with a ball-end Allen wrench while it was sitting in a Condor stand. And, yes, there is at least one lightweight out there (145 lb. me) wondering whether I need to replace the spring on the rear.

Larry

·
Registered
179 Posts
another lite-weight here...on all my race bikes, I always had about 3 different weight springs for different track layouts and tyre compounds. I admit the Ohlin's default spring is stiff for our weight. I havent had a chance to set the sag, but where are you guys at? I always leaned towards having more sag than not as it does give you more confidence riding, just not the fastest way around a turn if all things equal....

·
Registered
37 Posts
another lite-weight here...on all my race bikes, I always had about 3 different weight springs for different track layouts and tyre compounds. I admit the Ohlin's default spring is stiff for our weight. I havent had a chance to set the sag, but where are you guys at? I always leaned towards having more sag than not as it does give you more confidence riding, just not the fastest way around a turn if all things equal....
I have the preload backed WAY off (pretty close to as far as it will go) and have about 18mm of sag in the back. I weigh 145lbs w/o gear. I guess there are two possible solutions, less spring or more pasta.

Larry

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have the preload backed WAY off (pretty close to as far as it will go) and have about 18mm of sag in the back. I weigh 145lbs w/o gear. I guess there are two possible solutions, less spring or more pasta.

Larry
18mm is the bare minimum sag you would want...I would suggest going down to the next weight spring...

Anyone know what the spring weight is on it stock? It should be printed on the spring....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts