Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was just sitting here at work thinking about the cylinder heads I just put on and the different ways I may have screwed things up during reassembly. Then it came to me. Even if all the timing marks are lined up on the cam pulleys, there's a 50% chance that the valves on one cylinder could be out of synch with the other cylinder if they weren't in the correct position when I put the heads on and tightened them down. This seems a little iffy since the valves open and close once per revolution of the cam so if they are lined up (which they are) I should be good to go. But I still have a funny feeling so could someone reassure me on this point? Also, in a somewhat related question, I need to retard the ignition timing due to the new JE 11:1 pistons I just installed and was wondering about the best way to go about it. I recall seeing a thread about this very topic in the past but I have been unable to locate it. As I recall it was either move the timing pickups, or better yet remove some material from the timing trigger (sorry can't think of the right name). Could anyone help me out with that or point me to the elusive thread?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Because the cam pulley only turns at half the speed of the crank, if the dots are lined up the timing will always be correct. Concerning the timing, I rotated the entire plate on my 94 monster. Not sure if you have the same configuration. Mike

·
Registered
859 Posts
As Mike says if the dots on the pulleys line up with the dots on the cam covers and the scribe mark on the engine case cover the basic cam timing is set. Actually timing the cams so that the marks are correct is a fine tuning exercise and you need adjustable cam pulleys for that. If you want to retard the timing and I am guessing 2 degrees. Remove left side cover. unscrew the timing plate screws and rotate the mounying plate counter clockwise about 3/16 of an inch. or 2 degrees if you are using a degree wheel. Be sure to reset the air gap .6 -.8 mm between the ignition pickups and the flywheel sensor.

·
Registered
662 Posts
...Also, in a somewhat related question, I need to retard the ignition timing due to the new JE 11:1 pistons I just installed....
I got the same advice, rotate the backing plate a couple of timing marks. It would be best to have a good timing light on hand to check the before and after. It took me two tries to get it right.

Your other option is the DP ignition units which only retard by 2 degrees over 2800 rpm or so leaving starting and idlling at the better stock settings.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I'd still like to find out about removing some material from the timing trigger. If I recall correctly, it addressed the detonation problem without causing any changes at idle (I don't really know anything about timing so feel free to correct me).

Thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
I almost have my wife's monster back together. I put on the ingitech 4Ti module. I'll report back on if the adjustable spark map works out. It should be a breeze with a timing light. Conceptually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts