Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd much prefer to change the oil/filter and clean the screen myself than have the dealership do it.

What other things does the dealership do at the 600 mile service on the 848 aside from the oil/filter change stated in the manual?

I ask because I have been reading things like they do a procedure to reset something in the ECU so it knows the 600 miles service has been done? Is this true and are there any other specialized things they do?

Is there like maybe a dealer checklist someone can post that covers everything they do and inspect?

Thanks!

Alex

·
Registered
62 Posts
Biggest reason would be to keep your warranty, technically anyway. 600 miles service should also include: check torque on multiple fasteners, reset service light, general inspection and a few other things.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you take it to a shady dealership or just don't trust them, then just stand there and watch the mechanic do the work.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you take it to a shady dealership or just don't trust them, then just stand there and watch the mechanic do the work.
I would but I still don't know everything they do. If I can get a checklist from Ducati then I can be sure they do everything. I guess I could ask the dealership but how do I know it hasn't been shortened. I've just always had issues with dealerships over the years with my cars and I want to cover my ass since they are so far away from where I live. I haven't trusted a dealership in over 15 years, granted this is my first motorcycle dealership since none of my previous bikes were new I did all the work myself.

·
Registered
249 Posts
99.99% of all the Ducati dealers are OK!
below is what they do for a first service. there is also a check list in your manual. you can do this yourself. the real only thing you can't do (unless you have the vdst software) is reset the 'SERV' that shows up on your dash when you turn you key to 'on'. but if the service is free.. take it too the dealer.

1st Service
Within 6 months from delivery date
or after 600 miles whichever occurs first.

Details:
Engine oil and oil filter replacement

Cost: $150.00

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
99.99% of all the Ducati dealers are OK!
below is what they do for a first service. there is also a check list in your manual. you can do this yourself. the real only thing you can't do (unless you have the vdst software) is reset the 'SERV' that shows up on your dash when you turn you key to 'on'. but if the service is free.. take it too the dealer.

1st Service
Within 6 months from delivery date
or after 600 miles whichever occurs first.

Details:
Engine oil and oil filter replacement

Cost: $150.00
See this is my issue. The owners manual does not say anything more that what you just quoted above which has been proven to NOT be true, or atleast not a full truth.

I wish to know everything that is performed, I guess for my own personal knowledge. So aside from restting the "SERV" light, what else do they do and inspect? Does the service manual include a Ducati checklist or something? I mean how do the dealers even know what needs to be doublechecked?!

I will at this point trust my dealer to do my first free service as provided by Ducati however I am still curious...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I think I found it all:

Change the engine oil
Change the engine oil filter
Check the brake and clutch fluid levels
Check tyre pressure and wear
Check the brake pads. Renew if necessary
Check the drive chain tension, alignment and lubrication
Road test the motorcycle

I still couldn't find where it mentions resetting the "SERV" light so I stil don't trust that I have all of the list.

Can anyone fill in the blanks maybe?

Thanks!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going in for my 600 miles service next week.

I just wanted to add the following which are straight from Ducati NA

600 mile service - $144.38
7500 mile service - $ 256.88
15000 mile service - $ 362.20
After 7500 mile Valve service ("Service A") - $ 294.80
After 15000 mile Valve service ("Service B") - $366.30

*Note that these Ducati numbers are labor, not tax, and I'm not sure if it included parts, probably not.

I also noted that it is suggested that the belt tensions be checked as well.

I'm taking my dealer an Amsoil EAOM138C filter and 4qts of Redline 10w40 that I am having them use for me.

I'll post back on everything after.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
since most dealers let the first year apprentice do the oil changes i wouldn't even let them do that, regardless of wether it's free or not, to me it's worth the time and money just to know that the oil filter was pre filled with oil before fitting. i'd be inclined to do everything they're going to do as listed, leave them nothing to do, even take it in without the fairing so they don't accidently scratch that on you. when you ring to book it in mention that you've done the oil & filter change, most seem happy to take your word for it and they can just stamp your book and reset the service display.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
since most dealers let the first year apprentice do the oil changes i wouldn't even let them do that, regardless of wether it's free or not, to me it's worth the time and money just to know that the oil filter was pre filled with oil before fitting. i'd be inclined to do everything they're going to do as listed, leave them nothing to do, even take it in without the fairing so they don't accidently scratch that on you. when you ring to book it in mention that you've done the oil & filter change, most seem happy to take your word for it and they can just stamp your book and reset the service display.

Good points and normally I would feel the same way however I am familar with their shop and have spoken with the 1 Ducati mechanic they have. Most of what they do are Harleys, KTMs, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Triumph, Aprilla, Vespa, etc. Ducatis are a very small part of their business so they only have 1 person who ever touches them. I trust them, which is honestly unheard of me to say of a stealership lol.

Thinking about it though, I would rather do the oil change myself just because it's going to be a 220 mile ride in the 100+ degree heat on the freeway and I'd hate to think about all the oil from breakin with all the particles in the filter still in there for the ride up and also for peace of mind knowing I'm good for the ride back! Plus I don't have to put the filter and oil in a backpack for the trip up.

Thanks for mentioning that!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts