Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Road Beckons...
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with a rearview camera system like http://www.motionaleyes.com/home.html? The only downside to this system is the size of the screen. Also, I understand that you mostly see them on jap bikes, with guys riding in sandals, mohawks and no helmets. But I am looking for an alternative, something unique, and no antennas on my hyper. I also looked into the CRG hindsight mirrors which are also an alternative. So what does everyone recommend? Camera, actual mirrors, or a new ReeVu Helmet? Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bet you could go to an electronics store like Fry's and put together a a similar kit for much less money.

I really like the idea of the ReeVu helmet but I haven't heard much about them.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Saw a guy last week with a rear view set up.
Simple back up camera bought from China hooked up to his Garmin.
Pretty neat. even had a night mode.

Reevu helmets are great if you sit up right.
Hunched over on a Ducati (maybe not on a HM) you only see sky.

I bet you could go to an electronics store like Fry's and put together a a similar kit for much less money.

I really like the idea of the ReeVu helmet but I haven't heard much about them.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Rear View Video

Rear-facing video as a replacement for mirrors on a motorcycle has been tried - but suffers badly from two issues. The LCD display is difficult to see in broad daylight, and headlights from behind at night cause display problems. A dark filter over the video lens helps with the the headlight problem but reduce the visibility of other objects at night.

All you need to do is to wire-up a 5-inch LCD Monitor with horizontal-reverse image to a video camera with a wide-angle lens (to see close-in traffic.)

Take a look at your phone's LCD display in bright sunlight and then decide.

·
The Road Beckons...
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks Shazaam. And your right bung, I could probably piece together a kit for half the price.

-Alex

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
I'm still looking for a heads up display of a small screen projected inside the face shield. Just like the one form the movie FireFOX.
I'm sure it exists, just not attainable from the US military yet

I'd like to see.
RPM-Speed-oil temp-amperage-Time
Laser/radar
back view screen

I know there is a heads up for Radar but thats just a blinky light and its weird
JC

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Good idea for insurance claims.

·
The Road Beckons...
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heads up

The only way I will buy a helmet with a heads-up display, is if they design it to look like Boba Fett's helmet from Star Wars, haha. Anyhow here is something similar, it might not be too long before a motorcycle company adopts it. I can't imagine how much it will cost, but it is coming soon!

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_computers_iddm.html

-Alex (From FL not CA)

·
Registered
174 Posts
The only way I will buy a helmet with a heads-up display, is if they design it to look like Boba Fett's helmet from Star Wars, haha. Anyhow here is something similar, it might not be too long before a motorcycle company adopts it. I can't imagine how much it will cost, but it is coming soon!

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_computers_iddm.html

-Alex (From FL not CA)
Now that would be awesome.

·
Registered
142 Posts
A good friend of mine makes some sweet rear view camera systems. He can custom build them so the screen is in your mirror or just about anywhere you want. I have used them in racing/track days and they work great. His web site is www.ant-racing.com. Check it out and if interested contact them and ask for Dave, he is the owner. Tell him you got his info from Aaron.

Anyone have any experience with a rearview camera system like http://www.motionaleyes.com/home.html? The only downside to this system is the size of the screen. Also, I understand that you mostly see them on jap bikes, with guys riding in sandals, mohawks and no helmets. But I am looking for an alternative, something unique, and no antennas on my hyper. I also looked into the CRG hindsight mirrors which are also an alternative. So what does everyone recommend? Camera, actual mirrors, or a new ReeVu Helmet? Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts