Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a few questions about the rear shock and the weight limits on this bike. I weight about 205lbs without gear. the Rear shock is at max preload and has the stock spring. I was told that I needed a new spring in order to get the correct amount of sag on the rear shock but that I compensated by taking preload off the front forks. The thing is that I am not sure if I am compresing the spring to a point that it wont come back to normal height.

If I am riding two up for a few miles does that mean that the shock spring will compress and that it will not return to previous height? I am asking because it freaks me out and sometimes I feel like the bike is much lower in the back than it was a few minutes before, but im sort of a hypocondriach with this stuff.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump its pretty much as yes or no question.

Q: When you put over 300 pounds on the bike, does the rear spring lose its form and strength? I mean does the ride height go down and stays down at least just a little?

A: ______

a) Yes

b) No

c) Maybe

·
Registered
34 Posts
bump its pretty much as yes or no question.

Q: When you put over 300 pounds on the bike, does the rear spring lose its form and strength? I mean does the ride height go down and stays down at least just a little?

A: ______

a) Yes

b) No

c) Maybe
No.
The way to prove this to yourself would be to measure sag before and after.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
No, you are not deforming the spring. If you set the rebound damping to full stiff it can pack down when riding on rough roads though.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your responses. I just worry a lot with my streetfighter and want everything to be perfect. I also wanna make sure its in perfect condition for ECM. worried about the tires though. I have 500 miles in them and they look like they are wearing out quickly.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Getting the suspension right for you is one of the best things you can do to a bike.

·
øøøøº
1,312 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a few questions about the rear shock and the weight limits on this bike. I weight about 205lbs without gear. the Rear shock is at max preload and has the stock spring. I was told that I needed a new spring in order to get the correct amount of sag on the rear shock but that I compensated by taking preload off the front forks. The thing is that I am not sure if I am compresing the spring to a point that it wont come back to normal height.

If I am riding two up for a few miles does that mean that the shock spring will compress and that it will not return to previous height? I am asking because it freaks me out and sometimes I feel like the bike is much lower in the back than it was a few minutes before, but im sort of a hypocondriach with this stuff.
You must be kidding. If you aren't then you should not touch your suspension & take it to someone that knows what they are doing, you do not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You must be kidding. If you aren't then you should not touch your suspension & take it to someone that knows what they are doing, you do not.
I took my bike to a shop to have the suspension adjusted. Just did it today. The guys there are racers and ex-racers and really have a handle on suspension adjustments.
They started by setting sag and then rebound and compression.

I can't begin to tell you the difference it made.

Prior to the adjustments my bike felt like it didn't want to initiate the turn (turn in) and then it felt like it was falling into the turn. It was harsh over small irregularities.
I assumed it was just quirky Italian bike stuff.

It is soo much better now. Rolls right into the turns, feels planted and plush, just like what you would expect a Ducati to feel like.

Go have your suspension adjusted! It cost me $30 and was worth more than all the carbon fiber in the world.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Truth.

looks like you need good advice. Email Dan Kyle at Kyle-racing blah blah blah..

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was not kidding and thank you for your advice. I am not very mechanically savvy but I have done some pretty cool stuff with my tools. Either way this is probably the reason why I take it to the ducshop instead of trying to do it myself. Im sure your advice came out of a good heart ;)

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took my bike to a shop to have the suspension adjusted. Just did it today. The guys there are racers and ex-racers and really have a handle on suspension adjustments.
They started by setting sag and then rebound and compression.

I can't begin to tell you the difference it made.

Prior to the adjustments my bike felt like it didn't want to initiate the turn (turn in) and then it felt like it was falling into the turn. It was harsh over small irregularities.
I assumed it was just quirky Italian bike stuff.

It is soo much better now. Rolls right into the turns, feels planted and plush, just like what you would expect a Ducati to feel like.

Go have your suspension adjusted! It cost me $30 and was worth more than all the carbon fiber in the world.
Suspension adjustment makes a big difference. I had it adjusted once before but had to do it again when i put in the clip ons, and please correct me if i am wrong, due to the difference in weight distribution. Initially they had told me at the DUCSHOP that the spring didn't hold my weight right so I am considering changing it. if the preload is at max i am also afraid it might bottom out and hurt the thing so the spring will help with that as well. The bike is definitely getting to where I want it to be so just a few tweaks more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts