Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

i recently got my hypermotard 821 2013 from a dealer with 1500km on it.
i am new to bikes. I feel a vibration on the rear brake level when i hit the rear brakes.
I know it could be the abs, but then again it still vibrates during slow stops.
I'm a bit worried whether it could be anything faulty with the bike? or is it normal.

(btw i haven't done any bedding in of the pads etc etc) is it necessary while purchasing a used bike?

Looking forward to your advice
Best Regards
Raizul

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Could be a warped or rotor with buildup on it. Might put bike on stand and slowly turn rear wheel to see if you can tell anything with the rotor.

Good luck and congrats on the new bike!

Swanny

·
Registered
37 Posts
One hell of a first bike!

What you describe sounds like a warped brake disc. This is unusual at the rear, but if the previous owner continuously - or at least regularly - rest his foot on the break lever, it may have overheated. I've even heard of a guy pouring water over his break discs, because he thought they'd got too hot! The result was two warped discs and a bill of of 450.- Dollars or so.
After 1500 Km there's no need to bed in the brakes/pads. Complain at the dealer's, because even a single (rear) disc is expensive.

Good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
On the Hyper it's very easy to engage the rear-brake ABS... even in Sport mode. I doubt that's your case, but to rule it out completely you can try and disable the ABS temporarily to see if this "vibration" is still there: if it's gone, then it was just the ABS kicking in. Just remember to re-activate it when you're done :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your reply :) i called the dealer and they said it was the abs kicking in..but i hardly doubt it because even at slow stops it sometimes vibrates..i shall take it to the dealer just to make sure :) thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you

On the Hyper it's very easy to engage the rear-brake ABS... even in Sport mode. I doubt that's your case, but to rule it out completely you can try and disable the ABS temporarily to see if this "vibration" is still there: if it's gone, then it was just the ABS kicking in. Just remember to re-activate it when you're done :)

Thank you for the idea..i shall try it out today :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you

One hell of a first bike!

What you describe sounds like a warped brake disc. This is unusual at the rear, but if the previous owner continuously - or at least regularly - rest his foot on the break lever, it may have overheated. I've even heard of a guy pouring water over his break discs, because he thought they'd got too hot! The result was two warped discs and a bill of of 450.- Dollars or so.
After 1500 Km there's no need to bed in the brakes/pads. Complain at the dealer's, because even a single (rear) disc is expensive.

Good luck!
Thanks for your advice :) yes im gonna take it to the dealer again just to make sure :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you

Could be a warped or rotor with buildup on it. Might put bike on stand and slowly turn rear wheel to see if you can tell anything with the rotor.

Good luck and congrats on the new bike!

Swanny
Thanks Swanny..yes i shall check it out today :) appreciate your advice

1 - 8 of 8 Posts