Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right here's a poser: What can make a tapping noise from the rear wheel? With the bike up on the centre stand, if I turn the rear wheel backwards, at the same point each revolution, there is a double tapping noise, as if something is loose in the hub, and it is falling one way, hitting something and then the other.

I have carefully examined the wheel and all bearings turn freely without roughness and everything is present and correct, so what is the reason? The noise only occurs when the wheel is turned backwards, not forwards and the noise can be felt through the wheel spindle and is definitely coming from the rear hub area.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Chain maybe? If it were a bearing it'd double knock both directions. Possible your in the tight spot of chain. Have you checked chain alignment? Also, sprocket fastener tightness? Double sided swinger or single? (Thatd be my alignment question)

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Right here's a poser: What can make a tapping noise from the rear wheel? With the bike up on the centre stand, if I turn the rear wheel backwards, at the same point each revolution, there is a double tapping noise, as if something is loose in the hub, and it is falling one way, hitting something and then the other.

I have carefully examined the wheel and all bearings turn freely without roughness and everything is present and correct, so what is the reason? The noise only occurs when the wheel is turned backwards, not forwards and the noise can be felt through the wheel spindle and is definitely coming from the rear hub area.
... just be careful when you have the bike in reverse ...

:rolleyes: :D

:laugh:

Kidding aside, do you think it may be a problem with the wheel bearings?

.... If it were a bearing it'd double knock both directions....
hmmm ... not always. I've seen that happen when a bearing is bad or nearly bad.

It could also be an issue with the rear sprocket (wear .. bad or bent tooth).

:confused:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GT1000, spoked wheels. It cannot be the chain, because the chain will not be in the same point with each revolution of the wheel. I am wondering if it is a damaged tooth on the rear wheel sprocket, but everything looks very good and the sprockets and chain are only 10000 well maintained miles old. Everything is tight and wheels aligned. Maybe it's time for new chain and sprockets, but I'd like to get to the bottom of the noise first.

·
Registered
811 Posts
take the caliper off. because the pads are used the wheel going one way, often they do weird shit backwards.
I would start here. Take caliper off turn wheel and see if it makes the noise. Then move on to the chain, take it off of the sprocket and repeat to see if noise stops.

Good luck finding it. i have a buzz on my 1000s when it hits a certain rpm coming from the front of the bike (instrument gauge cluster, fairing, etc.). It only lasts a fraction of a second, but I can't seem to locate it. If I take the fairing off, it goes away. I started adding things and taking her out to see if it still buzzes but as soon as I put the mirrors back on, the buzz starts back.

·
Registered
809 Posts
spoke wheels?

checked the bearing in the sprocket mount? sounds like a cracked bearing cage or race.any diff. if you slacken the axle nut? tightened to proper torque?

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
My brain wants to think bearing too... Any chance it's a spoke? How many miles on the wheels?

Will it make the sound if you rotate the wheel on the axle off of the bike?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sound is the same when I slacken off the wheel axle nut. After taking out the wheel to examine everything, the noise has gone. Went for a decent ride yesterday and it is still gone.

There is something wrong with the swinging arm on this bike though. The swinging arm distance across the wheel mounting area is too wide; I have to fit thick washers each side of the wheel to take up the slack, if I don't, when the wheel spindle nut is tightened it pulls the ends of the arm together and distorts the arm, giving end-float at the pivot. And yes, all the spacers are in place! I would like to know what the exact measurement across the inner faces of the swinging arm should be, so if anyone has their wheel out any time, make a quick measurement and let me know!

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
I would compare your rear wheel components to a parts diagram to make sure you have everything in there that you should . There is a wheel spacer on the carbies that you actually install backwards to what you would assume by looking at it. If you install it the way that looks right, the wheel binds. Maybe somewhere along the way something has been left out, or assembled wrong. It happens to everyone sooner or later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts