Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I have a question for those riding the Sport Classic 1000s - what are you setting the torque wrench at when tightening the rear axle nut. 72nm ? 150 nm ? Reading the various threads on this topic it seems opinions vary from GT to Biposto to PS.

·
Registered
98 Posts
hay Hedly, i have a 06 S1K and went to a lot of trouble to try and find out what the torque setting is and there are a lot of Different opinions out there, 150 seems a hell of a lot on an axle nut shouldnt need that to hold it on i think i went less then 70nm and that felt fine what also got me was you dont have a torque rench out in the field if you have to change a tyre, try this do up the nut as tight as you would normaly and then put the torque rench on it to see what amount you have put on it that will give you a good indication of what you should do the nut up too. this may seem a bit Agricultural but you will feel a hole lot better that stripping the nut tring to set it at a to higher torque setting.hope this helps and i'm sure there will be alot of fellow duc rider on this forum that will have a different way of doing this. stay upright mate.
Vale.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Ducati Italy have twice assured me that 150 is correct; Ducati UK originally told me that 150 was right, then emailed me back to tell me that 72 was right. Either way, I believe that 150 is too much. My 620 Multi has a figure of 83, so I'm using that!

·
Registered
724 Posts
I did mine at 72 as per my Ducati Tech.... I think I also read it somewhere else...

150 sounds high...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ducati Italy have twice assured me that 150 is correct; Ducati UK originally told me that 150 was right, then emailed me back to tell me that 72 was right. Either way, I believe that 150 is too much. My 620 Multi has a figure of 83, so I'm using that!
Looks like the debate continues - almost like one of those "wave" threads you see on other motorcycle forums. : ) I asked the head mechanic at a local Ducati dealer. His answer was tighten the nut to the point you felt any more would strip the thread, and then one more tug on the wrench for good measure. He gave me the impression a specific "torque value" had less value than just making sure it was really tight. I'm not sure I agree with his logic so that is why I'm asking the question. Seems like somewhere between 150 and 72 is the way to go.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Guys, I have a question for those riding the Sport Classic 1000s - what are you setting the torque wrench at when tightening the rear axle nut. 72nm ? 150 nm ? Reading the various threads on this topic it seems opinions vary from GT to Biposto to PS.
For what it's worth, my torque wrench, a fairly reasonable tool, doesn't go up to 150Nm! 72 must be the right figure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For what it's worth, my torque wrench, a fairly reasonable tool, doesn't go up to 150Nm! 72 must be the right figure.
Good point - I never thought of checking that, so I checked my torque wrench - it maxes out at 345Nm (250 Ft lbs ) so potentially, I could torque to 150.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts