Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't have to worry about this on my 1098, but I have a 2007 R6 for a track bike now and it has a coventional swing arm. After tire and chain service this weekend, there seems to be a few different schools of thought, which do most of you racer/track guys favor?

Set chain tension and:

1) Align both sides equaly with index marks on bike. (not!)

2) Adjust to match the distance to the back or center of the swing arm.

3) Align the rear sprocket with the front sprocket with a chain aligmnet tool. (Motion Pro)

4) Align rear tire to the front tire for best tracking with no regard to any of the above.

Each method has it's following and doing it any one of these ways makes the others wrong. Which theory is best in the performace circles?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
motion pro chain alignment tool is easiest but probably less precise. Ideally if you can pick a point on both sides of the swingarm that are constant (like the swingarm pivot bolt) you can measure that distance of both sides with the axle (center of axle or leading edge). Typically what I did tho, which is not perfect, ignore the hashmarks and measuring the distance from the trough where the axle moves, this should be more less equal on both sides

It's hard to explain that so may not be of any help. The key is to find a point that will be as close to equal in relation to the axle.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
the marks work on my SP3 but not at all with the Monster. I made a pointed shaft and inserts to fit the swingarm shaft and make the center to center distances equal. Works a treat and is the least amount of f'ing around. Also fits the Monza.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Measure from the pivot bolt to the hash marks and see if the hash marks are equal. If so, use hash marks, if not make your own hash mark or two.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you're saying the most important factor is the axle being in perfect parallel with the swing arm? I've read a lot of people doing just that, but when I do, the rear sprocket isn't pointing true to the front, and the tire isn't tracking the front as I thought it should. Not by much mind you, it's just that I have to pick between sprocket alignment, swing arm alignment or tracking!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts