Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a 1600km (about 900 mile) trip to the Australian motorcycle GP.

When staying near the circuit we were looking at our bike rear ends, as you do!

Anyway, turns out my local dealer fitted my new Pilot road 2 in the reverse sense. :mad:

Apart from the obvious water shedding problem that the reverse tread pattern would probably induce, I am concerned at possible accelerated wear. I had no chance to have the tyre re-fitted when at the GP weekend (no local dealers, or availability), hence I have just ridden about 2000km (12oo miles) with this new tyre. (We had lots of wet weather riding going there and the tyre gave no problems.)

Any suggestions about wear issues, if any? I'll be getting it re-fitted of course, but I need a negotiating position if I'm likely to have a tyre that will give me less life than normal.

Thanks for any inputs.

Dave

PS I won't discuss the Moto GP for fear of spoiling it for those still to watch a recording.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
My suggestion would be to contact Michelin direct via their website and invite their advice.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Apart from the obvious water shedding problem that the reverse tread pattern would probably induce, I am concerned at possible accelerated wear.
There's a rumor floating around that with a tire mounted backwards, the closer to the speed of light that you get, the tread will start sucking in matter. Eventually, you will create a black hole. The theory of current black holes is that those started off as civiizations that were well ahead of us, until a shade-tree mechanic mounted a tire backwards....

Actually, I've seen this before, both at the beginning and at the end of the tire's life. I have not noticed any issues with accelerated tire wear. I would contact Michelin and see what they say about having that many miles on the tire and then flipping it. I would suspect that it is not a big deal, but if they tell you it is, go complain to the shop who mounted the tire and see about getting a new tire on their dime. ;)

The last backwards mounted tire I saw was a little different scenario and was a few weeks ago when I was changing out a buddy's front Michelin Pilot Power 2ct on his GSXR. He'd been having braking issues (pulsing) right after the shop mounted the tire on backwards.....and then they mounted the rim backwards on the bike so the tire was going in the correct direction! The shop is denying any responsibility (of course).

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Anyway, turns out my local dealer fitted my new Pilot road 2 in the reverse sense. :mad:

Apart from the obvious water shedding problem that the reverse tread pattern would probably induce, I am concerned at possible accelerated wear. I had no chance to have the tyre re-fitted when at the GP weekend (no local dealers, or availability), hence I have just ridden about 2000km (12oo miles) with this new tyre. (We had lots of wet weather riding going there and the tyre gave no problems.)

I think taking it to the dealer, pointing at the little arrow, and saying "fix it" should be sufficient. If they try to talk you out of it, just say "lawsuit".

·
7,733 Posts
I agree with dirkwright; I'd say take it back and show them they screwed up and ask they mount it properly. As far as any consequence, other than those matter warping issues mentioned above by DD, it is my understanding that the belts are laid a certain way and if the tire is mounted backwards, the belts' trailing edges become the leading edges, and they may become displaced under heavy braking, which is far more likely to happen on the frt than rear tire. I don't know if this is true, but I've had tires that have become severly cupped due to hard frt braking on heavier bikes I've owned, and it was attributed to the rubber "blocks" shifting, so I guess if belts on a backwards mounted tire do start shifting, it would be most unpleasant.

·
2,650 Posts
The most important part of your bike and the only point of contact you have with the ground - Why guess ?
Nothing else works , trick suspension , brakes , lightened weight etc unless you have good contact with the tarmac so go talk (email) with Michelin and get the right information direct from source.
If you dont want that bother/dialogue then just insist on a new (free) tyre and close the matter with the shop.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Same thing happened to me but it was on a BMW airhead. The same shop installed the same tires on me and a friend's airhead. While smoking cigars at a stop I noticed that our tread direction was different. I hadn't felt any thing wrong but had them correct it. With that kind of horsepower, you never know.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Along with asking them to fix it (remount them in the correct direction), I would ask for a brand new set at a significantly reduced cost.

I think that's fair!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Seem to recall

I remember hearing something about the construction of the tire and that a directional tire mounted incorrectly can cause it to come apart. Similar to the issue of putting the teflon tape onto the threads of a pipe in the incorrect direction. But don't quote me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I remember hearing something about the construction of the tire and that a directional tire mounted incorrectly can cause it to come apart. Similar to the issue of putting the teflon tape onto the threads of a pipe in the incorrect direction. But don't quote me.
Sorry for quoting you, but that is the danger associated with mounting a tire backward.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Sorry for quoting you, but that is the danger associated with mounting a tire backward.

actually, that's an old danger when radials first came out. Now, my now deceased tire fellow use to tell of a story of a particular race tire that one fellow was running backwards and whipping the hell out of everyone else.
I can't remember the whole story but seems it was a dunlop and dunlop
started recommending their tires be run backwards.
Anyway. The short of it was, that when a tire was wearing a bit he'd recommend flipping it and running backwards to finish it off.

Since sum body mentioned lawsuit. (and I think I'd know how to tell someone what to do with their lawsuit.)
The above opinion is neither recommended to you nor condoned. What I do with my tires is my business.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Status Report

Thanks v. much to all for their opinions and advice.

I contacted Michelin Australia and was put onto the Sydney Distributors.

The Pilot Road 2 has no directional construction, unlike some dirt-bike tyres apparanetly. They said that 2000km of use would be unlikely to have caused any accelerated wear. Of course they mentioned the tread pattern issue and it's common sense that water shedding would be affected, as I expected.

Before knowing I had a reverse-fitted tyre, I rode on some patchy wet surfaces on the outbound journey. I attributed a couple of minor 'squiggles' to the surface, but perhaps the reversed tread had an influence - nothing experienced to cause concern.

My dealer will be refitting the tyre Thursday. He's a small operator and a Ducati enthusiast. I'm sure he's embarrassed about the error and that's it as far as I am concerned.

If I end up with radically shorter life from this tyre then I'll take the issue back to him and I expect he'll be receptive, but the Michelin advice is there should be no problem. Incidentally, the Michelin Australia website has NO info on bike tyres at all. It's as if they only make car tyres. :(

cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
205 Posts
My dealer will be refitting the tyre Thursday. He's a small operator and a Ducati enthusiast. I'm sure he's embarrassed about the error and that's it as far as I am concerned.
What a sensible point of view. If you rode on it for 2000 miles and didn't notice any ill effects then if obviously didn't make any real difference, and you're clear thinking enough not to need to be told about the water shedding issues. I find it a depressing state of affairs when several respondents start talking about a legal resolution to a problem that clearly wan't there, or you'd have noticed it. Thanks for not wanting to take it any further and helping to restore the balance of common sense.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
What a sensible point of view. If you rode on it for 2000 miles and didn't notice any ill effects then if obviously didn't make any real difference, and you're clear thinking enough not to need to be told about the water shedding issues. I find it a depressing state of affairs when several respondents start talking about a legal resolution to a problem that clearly wan't there, or you'd have noticed it. Thanks for not wanting to take it any further and helping to restore the balance of common sense.

Cheers,
Mark.
+1000 :cool:

·
Registered
5,899 Posts

Cheers,
Mark.
can I add a +2000 since AZ done said +1000.

·
2,650 Posts
Actually only one person suggested mentioning legal action and only then if the shop argued.....?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts