Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been happy with the PR2s I fitted to my carby 900SS 13,000kms ago. Having read somewhere that both 180 and 170 were factory approved, I chose 180 over 170 simply because here there were some great deals on matched sets in either 180 or 160 rear, but not 170.

Now, I'm thinking of going with a 160 to sharpen up the handling in the wonderful twisties we have here. I know 160 is standard on the 750SS, but that comes with a narrower rear rim, also the 900 rim shouldn't be too wide; correct me in both instances if I'm wrong.

So, any experiences from anyone who's had both would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind paying extra for a 170 if that's the best way to go.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
4.5" rim=160
5.0" rim=170
5.5" rim =180
I assume you have a 5.5", not a 4.5" rim. You can fudge one size up or down, but I sure would not use a 160 on a 5.5" rim. You will flatten out the profile too much by spreading the tire out to fit a rim too wide for the tire's design. You will not have as much rubber contact at full lean. All tire manufacturers recommend a 180 tire (some allow a 190) on the 5.5" rim. Ducati put 170 tires on the carbed SS, probably to save money, and to quicken steering. The later EFI bikes went to a 180 on the same width rim. There are much better ways to quicken steering, like raising the rear with a longer shock, or lowering the front by raising the forks in the triple clamps.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I would suggest doing a search here on the subject. The tire issue has been discussed frequently. More info than you'll ever need.

bob

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
For what it is worth... I put a 180/55 on the back of mine and it handles very well, good and sharp as new tires will tend to be way better than older squared off ones.
Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
160 frt 170 rr on my bike 1st and it seem to turn in faster then went with 170frt 180/55 rr more meat for street riding and all the bumps, enjoy it more at the Track with bigger foot print. 5.5 rr wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
160, 170 front?! :think::eek:
Yep when I bought her home he had those on it.............160frt was not good at the Track and tires were New. I did 4 track days then they cooked..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts