Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear turn signals are loose. It drives the people crazy who ride behind me.

Has anyone opened this up to try tightening them?

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
yes....i placed thicker rubber washers (may have been steel) on the bolts under the seat area, a couple steel ones on the outside. did the trick for me.

see ya,

·
Registered
602 Posts
I Cut a piece of rubber fuel line to make rubber washers. The tail should be able to move somewhat. You can choose by how much by making the hose-washers whatever thickness you feel proper. Mine are about 2.5mm thick.

·
Registered
602 Posts
?

My rear turn signals are loose. It drives the people crazy who ride behind me.

Has anyone opened this up to try tightening them?
I am assuming, and I hope correctly, that you are speaking of the tail assembly being loose and not just the turn signals.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My rear turn signals were as floppy as cooked pasta. I pulled it apart to see if there was a convenient way to tighten it up and concluded there was not. Went with Rizoma tail tidy and signals and am very pleased.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey guys, the tail end does not have to move at all, if you want to keep it original, here is what I did.
Bought the Palmer Products nylon washers, cheap as chips, and got rid of the rear end shake.
I made some spacers for the indicators and inserted them on the inside of the grommets, had to disassemble the tail end, but worth it, see here..www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/index.cfm?fa=contentGeneric.xcqsqfklorcyzcxw&pageId=4937690
No more wobble or shake, and quite inexpensive.
Ironically, once you have the shape of the spacer, you can use black plastic for it and insert it on the outside of the grommet!! But hey, thats life.

P.S. the spacer has to be cut once on the longest side to allow it to be inserted!!

DonK

·
Registered
379 Posts
My left rear turn signal is also floppy; might have something to do with repeatedly dropping the bike in the silt last summer (popped the whole turn signal out but I stuffed it back in) :eek: Don't think there's a fix except replacement as some have noted.

Have long since added washers to tighten up the whole rear fender a bit...

--Doc

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On my bike it is the turn signal themselves that are floppy, not the assembly.

Sounds like there is no way to tighten these.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I took a closer look at mine today and one of the spacers between the signal and the tail is tearing. I guess I'll have to order some replacement spacers.

maybe now is a good time to order the Rizoma replacement piece?

·
Registered
28 Posts
The spacers do tear on the turn signals, I've had to replace both sides on my bike. The only way to get at them is by removing the tail section. Once its off you will see the plate that comes off along with a screw that holds the turn signal in position.

Even after putting the new spacers on the damn things still jiggle though.

·
Registered
357 Posts

Thanks.
I noticed one of my rear signals was loose the other day. Liberal amounts of gorilla glue seemed to fix the problem. I was too lazy to pull the housing apart to see why it let go. Now I'm noticing that the clear plastic part of the other rear indicator is no longer flush to the mounting back, so the next ride in the rain should make for a good stress test of that bulb.

·
Registered
496 Posts
right you are.. its just the tips that are loose on mine.

Thanks.
They need to be more snug somehow. They bounce around and look cheap when rolling. Where they are connected to the tail is fine on mine. Just the tips where the rubber disc type thing happens

·
Registered
106 Posts
13 1200s touring

My tail light bounces. Almost like it's not bolTed down. Anyone have this problem? Or know of a fix

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
You can shim the mounting bolts to tighten it up, or you can buy a tail tidy to replace it. Pretty much a known issue.

·
Behind In His Steering...
87 Posts
This problem has been thoroughly discussed and solved here: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/492801-turn-signals.html

I recommend my fix, which I've done on three Multis, including my own. Simply take the tail plastics apart, move the mounting stalks inboard to the outermost groove, and reassemble. Not only is the clamping on this groove better, but now that the stalk is "shorter", there's less leverage and floppiness to signals due to bumps in the road. The turn signals simply DO NOT bounce or move around in any way.

And you can't beat the price, or the 9 minutes it takes to do the fix.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts