Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after washing the bike I noticed this...

How can this happen any ideas?? Do you think I can get a replacement by warranty..?

Any past victims of this issue?

The bike is new (~5 months) and I'm a bit pissed...

Sent from Space...

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
So, after washing the bike I noticed this...

How can this happen any ideas?? Do you think I can get a replacement by warranty..?

Any past victims of this issue?

The bike is new (~5 months) and I'm a bit pissed...

Sent from Space...
Strange :think:seems that all the nut have been over-torque ! did you remove you hugger ?

Option warranty that will be a tough one ;)

Have plenty of us with rear OEM Hugger in the garage or a carbon one :)?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So after giving it some thought and cooled my rage... I figured it out..

I'm the one to blame..and also an idiot

It was done when removing the cover from the bike, so yes it's the perfect excuse to go carbon..

Sent from Space...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Yep, I was gonna say it looked like someone tried to tear it off! No more wheaties for you!;-)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sir, I respectfully disagree that this would be a good option, I have the exact same shift-tech hugger and the clearance between the tip and the tire is quite small causing the tip of the hugger to come into contact with the wheel.

Some parts of the hugger have been worn away by my wheel. I am upset that this has to happen but...

·
Temporary greeter
23,089 Posts
Sir, I respectfully disagree that this would be a good option, I have the exact same shift-tech hugger and the clearance between the tip and the tire is quite small causing the tip of the hugger to come into contact with the wheel.

Some parts of the hugger have been worn away by my wheel. I am upset that this has to happen but...
Interesting. I've had that same fender on my bike since early 2010 and it is still perfect. I would contact Shift Tech and see if there is anything they could do for you. Product and service from them has been nothing but top notch for me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Interesting. I've had that same fender on my bike since early 2010 and it is still perfect. I would contact Shift Tech and see if there is anything they could do for you. Product and service from them has been nothing but top notch for me.
I'll attach a pic later to show everyone. I haven't thought about contacting shift-tech because I understand these things do not come with warranty, but that's an interesting advice! I've admired Shift-tech for their products and from the positive feedback from all the members here, I have them in high regard. But this hugger has nothing but disappointing.

Would definitely like a new hugger, but there isn't a hugger out there that would fit my 134DD out of the box except this hugger.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
I just stumbled about this and need to chime in here.

It is impossible for the tip or any part of the hugger to rub on the tire unless something else is not the way it should be or for example pushing the hugger onto the tire.

We are selling this hugger by the hundreds for the SF since the bike was released and only receive great feedback from customer & Ducati dealers about it.

I myself have done 7000 mls on our SF with this hugger and the current new owner is still currently ridding the bike and put another 3000mls on it. We don't just sell " stuff", we ride the bikes and I know a few local SF owners that I see weekly and they all have the same hugger with no issues. If the hugger would be rubbing then we won't be selling it either and neither use it on our bikes.

There is so much clearance to the tire that even tire warmers still can be mounted, you can even put your hand in between the hugger & tire. The picture clearly shows that there is plenty of clearance to the tire.
The hugger does not have any weight to it so it won't flex up and down and if all mounting bolts are secure then it just nicely sits there and does it job and won't be touching any tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just stumbled about this and need to chime in here.

It is impossible for the tip or any part of the hugger to rub on the tire unless something else is not the way it should be or for example pushing the hugger onto the tire.

We are selling this hugger by the hundreds for the SF since the bike was released and only receive great feedback from customer & Ducati dealers about it.

I myself have done 7000 mls on our SF with this hugger and the current new owner is still currently ridding the bike and put another 3000mls on it. We don't just sell " stuff", we ride the bikes and I know a few local SF owners that I see weekly and they all have the same hugger with no issues. If the hugger would be rubbing then we won't be selling it either and neither use it on our bikes.

There is so much clearance to the tire that even tire warmers still can be mounted, you can even put your hand in between the hugger & tire. The picture clearly shows that there is plenty of clearance to the tire.
The hugger does not have any weight to it so it won't flex up and down and if all mounting bolts are secure then it just nicely sits there and does it job and won't be touching any tire.
I'm sorry, I did not mean to put down your products, that wasn't my intention at all. I secured the hugger as it is and the clearance is a little too low. Perhaps this picture will illustrate, I am out at the moment and am unable to take a close up.

The tire is a 190/55/17 pirelli dragon supercorsa sc2. I'm sorry if I have offended you and your products. My apologies.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
b3nn, you did not offend me at all and I don't think this was meant to put our products down, you have an issue and you simply stated so.

I am no " sales guy", I just happen to love Ducatis and ride them and sell the parts for them:), a normal dude with a shop.

It's hard to tell from your pictures since it's not a close up but my first thought was " that tire looks awfully tall" but that may just be the angle of the shot.

One advise, a small washer on every bolt hole under the hugger will simply raise it up a notch....

Another thought...., wheel adjusted all the way forward by any chance? That will bring the top of the tire much closer to the inside of the hugger.
I remember a post a few years back where somebody had the tire rub on the inside of the swingarm even.
Pipe does not get in contact with the edge of the hugger at any point?

·
Registered
198 Posts
It's hard to tell from your pictures since it's not a close up but my first thought was " that tire looks awfully tall".
I know RIGHT! The tire profile makes the rosso II look like little calamari rings. I'm glad I didn't offend you. That was the last thing on my mind. The wheel has not been moved forward, so I'll just stick a few washers underneath the hugger. Unfortunately even that wouldn't allow me to fit tire warmers on unless i stick a spacer in there or something.

Again, love your products and quality. Hopefully, one day, I can have this bike mounted in full shift-tech carbon. Just gotta hit the federal reserve first. ;)

Thanks for the compliment. Its no where as good as the 1262R is. I'm still a student.

TS, I'm sorry for barging in on your thread. Last post from me, I hope you get your hugger issue resolved. Looked like it was forced upward till the point of breaking.

·
Registered
139 Posts
There was a fella on here....Rear Hugger Snapped that had the same problem.

Just look under the Streetfighter section @ ducatiforum.co.uk if the above link doesn't work.

I was following a mate recently on his 848SF and noticed his hugger flaps about alot. Remember thinking i wouldn't be suprised if it snapped.

If you're sure it's your cover though, cool!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not to hijack, but can anyone tell me what sprocket cover, sprocket and chain are in this picture?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There was a fella on here....Rear Hugger Snapped that had the same problem.

Just look under the Streetfighter section @ ducatiforum.co.uk if the above link doesn't work.

I was following a mate recently on his 848SF and noticed his hugger flaps about alot. Remember thinking i wouldn't be suprised if it snapped.

If you're sure it's your cover though, cool!
Yes.. 100% positive, when I take the bike's cover the elastic tends to get stuck either on the pegs, exhaust, or the pillion pegs... Usually a weak pull would release the elastic.. Only one of the times I didn't realize it stuck on the hugger... (I don't recall the exact moment but being this something constant is my educated guess.) Plus no other thing gets in contact with the hugger, and the fracture zone indicates a pull not "fatigue".

In my case it also broke 3 out of 4 mounting points... ask that fellow on the other forum if he has an elastic cover.. if so.. I'm confident that's how it broke.

In any case.. the part costs $20.00 original which is fair...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts