Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

I have just purchased my first motorcycle - a 2007 Ducati Supersport 800. It looks like it's in pristine condition with one exception the rear tire needs replacing ASAP...the threads are even showing through it. So my big question is whether I should attempt replacing the rear-wheel myself or have a mechanic do it? I'm pretty good at working with cars and other mechanical systems but I have absolutely zero knowledge when it comes to motorcycles...I am thinking on buying some tire irons and stand to remove and replace the real wheel but I'm just wondering if I'm asking for trouble doing it myself with such a lack of experience...then again have to start somewhere right? Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated! And if I do the tire change through a mechanic anybody happen to know what I could expect cost wise? I know I can get the wheel for about $150.

Thanks,
T

·
Registered
63 Posts
When you mount your tire you need to have it balanced. You can change it yourself, its easy to do but personally I would rather just have a shop do it since they can do it quickly and they have done millions. As for as removing the rear wheel, I do often at least to grease the axle, so you shouldnt be afraid to attempt that. If it was a dirt bike I would say go ahead since the dirt is more forgiving than pavement. Plus an 07Supersport is not cheap right?
The local shops around me normally charge the price of the tire plus $30 to mount and balance.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I used to replace my own tyres in the days before radials and tubeless. I have only ever take one radial tyre off as they are a lot tighter fit on the rim. With cross ply tyres you could get them off and fit new with a rubber mallet. Without good gear you could damage the rim - a lot less hassles having some-one else do it.

Now I just take the wheel into a dealer and have the old removed and new fitted. Just watch how the spaces are installed as you take the rear axle out - it all goes back together only one way.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am a very strong believer in anything worth doing is worth doing yourself. But in this case I suggest you have your shop do it, so you can ride, as the tire you described sounds shot. Then figure out what you will need to do it yourself in the future. I like my Nomar Jr Pro.http://www.nomartirechanger.com/

I balance with a Parnes balancer http://www.marcparnes.com/

It is a pretty big investment but you get a lot of free beer from all your friends.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts