Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about a few things regarding rear suspension designs used on Ducati moneysickles ranging from ~roughly~ 1990 to present day.

1.) Other than super fast rear wheel changes in a race setting (without having the fuss with the chain/rear brake), what advantages does the single sided swingin' arm design offer, if any?

2.) Can a single sided swingarm/shock ensemble be retrofitted to a (let's say) mid 1990s 900 SSCR? I have MIG/TIG/Oxy-Acet and mill/lathe at my disposal, and I'm a lifelong metalworker. So a bit of welding/fab if required doesn't rattle my cage.

3.) Is the single sided rig any lighter? heavier? than a standard double sided rear suspension setup?

We'll start with those few questions and see what they lead to.

Thank you!!

Rex. :) :D

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
My opinions -

1) Known to remove panties at up to 100 feet away

2) With that equipment and experience you could put a single sided swingarm on a John Deere riding lawnmower - but why?

3) Probably lighter but weaker in the sense that it puts unequal stress on a frame not designed for loads in those vectors. Adding more steel to overcome that probably brings the weight right back up. Better off investing in lightweight wheels and staying with an SS/SP ally swingarm over the steel CR one. Functionally, I think the steel swingarm is going to remain trouble free for a lifetime at a very minor weight penalty when the only improvement the suspension really needs is a fine shock to replace the marginal CR stock one.

in sum, a SSSA will make it much easier to mount exhaust pipes under the tail and I would say that is the primary reason it has been done to other SS bikes.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, that pretty much confirmed my own opinions. I've no intention of going with an aluminum swingarm either. Never been a prestige squid.

I just needed answers, and you've provided them. So unless you're racing in endurance events (or the near dead Daytona 200) there's no reason to even think about doing such things. And if you DO require such a rear suspension system, just use a bike that was outfitted with it right from the engineer's drafting board (so to speak) at the factory.

Thanks. Case closed.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
1/ looks cool.

2/ monster s*r or 796/1100 swingarms will fit ss crankcase and pivot style. sbk swingarms have bearings in them and are different widths at the back of the cases.

possibly, depends how well it is designed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts