Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears the previous owner of my '94 900SS had a paranoiac fear of randomly losing the rear sprocket while he tooled along as they were installed via the combined application of Loctite and an impact wrench, or so it seems.

When one also considers that most of the mounting hardware on these bikes was hand-formed from formaggio marcio, the end result is a rapidly rounded hex, even under the careful application of a six-sided socket and copius quantities of PB Blaster.

Despite my best ministrations of torch, vice-grips and chisel I still have three to go and no riding time on the horizon until they're off.

Anybody have a new favorite tool or method for de-slagging the studs on the sprocket carrier of the remnants of the OE nuts?

Otherwise anybody have a spare sprocket carrier off an OE Brembo rear wheel they wanna sell cheap?

Cheers,

Christian Els
Kansas City, MO
'94 900SS/CR

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions.

I forgot about nut splitters - think I have one hibernating in a dark corner of my tool box. We'll give that a shot, else trek to Sears for a set of those sockets.

Cheers,

Christian

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
NUts to loosen

Heat Valve Spray from you friendly Goodwrench parts counter works pretty good also..
I would also recomend heat as that will break the Locktite so you can remove...and remember to order the parts you need ASAP!!
Mike

·
Registered
1994 Ducati Super Sport 900 CR
69 Posts
It appears the previous owner of my '94 900SS had a paranoiac fear of randomly losing the rear sprocket while he tooled along as they were installed via the combined application of Loctite and an impact wrench, or so it seems.

When one also considers that most of the mounting hardware on these bikes was hand-formed from formaggio marcio, the end result is a rapidly rounded hex, even under the careful application of a six-sided socket and copius quantities of PB Blaster.

Despite my best ministrations of torch, vice-grips and chisel I still have three to go and no riding time on the horizon until they're off.

Anybody have a new favorite tool or method for de-slagging the studs on the sprocket carrier of the remnants of the OE nuts?

Otherwise anybody have a spare sprocket carrier off an OE Brembo rear wheel they wanna sell cheap?

Cheers,

Christian Els
Kansas City, MO
'94 900SS/CR
What was the result? Did you get them off? I'm fixing to attempt the same thing on my 94sscr

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
use a heat gun on the nuts/ studs that is how to break loose loctite, I have to do it all the time, once hot they will come right off

Reactions: mzrhayes
1 - 8 of 8 Posts