Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into trying a bigger rear sprok for my 796 and putting the 15t front back on . I like the pull of the 14t front and stock 41t rear butI like the lower rpm high speed and less shifting with the 15t front and 41 rear. What would be a happy medium between the two? And can u add a link to a 525 chain or do u need to get a new one with larger rear

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I'm looking into trying a bigger rear sprok for my 796 and putting the 15t front back on . I like the pull of the 14t front and stock 41t rear butI like the lower rpm high speed and less shifting with the 15t front and 41 rear. What would be a happy medium between the two? And can u add a link to a 525 chain or do u need to get a new one with larger rear
Usually 1 tooth on the front sprocket equals 3 teeth on the rear, so I might try 2 teeth larger on the rear & keep the 15t.
The stock chain should be able to adjust for 1 to 2 xtra teeth, if not, they do make "add a links" Aloha Alex

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
These are really small changes we're talking about here. Stock 15/41 gives you 4,430 rpm at 75 mph and your 14/41 gives you 4,750 rpm. 15/42 gives 4.540, 15/43 gives 4,650. It's hard to justify the cost of a chain and sprocket for 100 - 200 rpm.

(Links have to be added two at a time, think about it)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are really small changes we're talking about here. Stock 15/41 gives you 4,430 rpm at 75 mph and your 14/41 gives you 4,750 rpm. 15/42 gives 4.540, 15/43 gives 4,650. It's hard to justify the cost of a chain and sprocket for 100 - 200 rpm.

(Links have to be added two at a time, think about it)
Very good point!!!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And thanks Alex !! I was looking at a 42t 525 rear on eBay for $39+shipping but after research I think I would need new chain.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
When you change sprockets you may not need a new chain.

It depends upon the remaining range/current position of your chain adjuster. Changing from a 15-tooth to a 14-tooth front sprocket will move the rear axle 4 mm toward the back of the bike. Replacing the rear sprocket with one with one less tooth does the same thing. If that's too much then removing two links will move your axle towards the front 16 mm, the pin-to-pin length of a chain link. You can't remove just one link. Chains always have an even number of links.

In deciding whether to replace a chain you also need to consider that sprockets and chains wear together, that is, chains stretch over time and sprockets wear to accommodate chain wear.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input . I think I'll just keep what I got . I was thinking it would make a bigger diff. But looking at your calculation ratios I'd only saving about 200 rpm on a 15/42 or 43 set up

·
Registered
718 Posts
Thanks for the input . I think I'll just keep what I got . I was thinking it would make a bigger diff. But looking at your calculation ratios I'd only saving about 200 rpm on a 15/42 or 43 set up
i have both set ups. 14/41 and 15/42 and i will say 14/41 is better gearing.

just as a fyi the 1100 rear sprocket is a 525 42t and fits the 796 just fine.i got to play with my gearing for under 40 bucks

trust me

·
Registered
307 Posts
My experience with the HM 796 is that 15X44 works best for rapid acceleration out of corners. I tried the 14 front with the stock 41 rear,...but the chain dragged the top of the swingarm so bad...the noise made me crazy. I also have a 15x43 setup that is a bit nicer on the Interstate. 80 mph is about 4800 RPM. With the 15x44 ,...80 mph is right at 5k.

If you spend the money....go with the AFAM quick change rear sprocket carrier.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
On the stock 08 1100 Hyper the sprockets are 15/42, which is a wee bit tall, as I could not pull redline in 6th gear, even with my 1123cc built motor, but by adding 1 tooth to the rear I was able to pull 6th gear to redline and get a faster top end with the lower gearing.
I needed to keep up my topend for the faster tracks.

If I were running a stock 1100 Hyper I would run a 15/44, a modded Hyper a 15/43 (mine) that would help get the best out of the motor, descent accerlation with good topend. (For a Hyper)
Aloha Alex

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Seven !!!
I looked at the afam setup and like it . What about chain length ? When I do decide to order I'm guessing they will know what length of chain I will need by giving them year and make of bike and sprok sizes.
I'm gonna go ahead and wear out my stock chain to justify the purchase of new sproks ,chain and carrier.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Theres a 14/42 w 520 chain for hypers in the for sale section right now. Its ~$200 and i think new? Ive been thinkin abt snatching it up...But my bike needs other things(suspension improvements) right now...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Thanks Seven !!!
I looked at the afam setup and like it . What about chain length ? When I do decide to order I'm guessing they will know what length of chain I will need by giving them year and make of bike and sprok sizes.
I'm gonna go ahead and wear out my stock chain to justify the purchase of new sproks ,chain and carrier.
The AFAM set is amazing. Put one on mine about 1200kms ago, haven't really had to adjust the slack at all. It does cost some money, but then you're sure you're getting quality equipment.

I once saw an inferior chain on a RSV 1000R Factory go through a crankcase, that stuff is really expensive, not to say the risk you have of getting your leg chopped off.

I did go for the steel sprockets though. I use alloy on the MX bike and they wear out so quickly.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The AFAM set is amazing. Put one on mine about 1200kms ago, haven't really had to adjust the slack at all. It does cost some money, but then you're sure you're getting quality equipment.

I once saw an inferior chain on a RSV 1000R Factory go through a crankcase, that stuff is really expensive, not to say the risk you have of getting your leg chopped off.

I did go for the steel sprockets though. I use alloy on the MX bike and they wear out so quickly.
So you suggest steel sprockets ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts