Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New chain and 42T rear sprocket installed at around 30.000 kilometers (desmo service)

And today after lubing my chain, I noticed after only 5000 kilometers or 1 year 9 months, this play on the rear sprocket.

I have no tools for the sprocket bolts, but they seem as tight as it left that last service.
Only think I did recently was adjust my chain, but I cant imagine that would have anything to do with the sprocket play?

First thoughts?
Best go to the dealer with this I guess?

·
Sophomore Member
2,964 Posts
Yowza. I’d check the large nut the holds the carrier since everything is moving. (I just replaced my chain and sprockets on my 2018 and this nut was loose.)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did a google search and found more than a handful of topics that lateral freeplay on a rear sprocket is absolutely normal

and on a fb group another owner confirmed he had this too..

will be going to the dealers this week, just to be sure though

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
As previously mentioned, check if the new sprocket (or carrier) you recently purchased has the proper offset.

·
Premium Member
4,043 Posts
Looks normal... part of the motion is you pulling the whole bike around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I discovered the exact same problem on my 2014 few days ago. Fixed it today by re-torquing the carrier bolts to 44Nm (pre-DVT). Only one of them was loose. The "tool" is 14mm 12-point socket

·
Sophomore Member
2,964 Posts
Just checked mine and can confirm no play in it. Pretty sure the large nut is loose. If that is out of your skill set, then let the dealer tighten it up.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
12-point socket

Just checked mine and can confirm no play in it. Pretty sure the large nut is loose. If that is out of your skill set, then let the dealer tighten it up.
Thats weird.

If the large nut was lose, there would be play on the whole wheel too, no?

I learned there are cush rubbers and there has to be play, it allows to compensate from forces coming from acceleration and deceleration, the play helps to catch those forces.
If it would be all fixed, the drive parts would wear out much faster.
The play is build in by those cush rubbers.

On fb various members confirmed its absolutely normal and google seach gave me lots of results of this same question with all the same answer, its normal.

I made a screenshot of a video from a member on a Multi facebookgroup

Just to make sure, I am gonna mail 2 dealers (one is my dealer I go to for maintenance and the other is just much closer and I go to for small bits and pieces) about this with the link to the videos.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts