Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this is nuts. For months I have been running an aftermarket sprocket carrier with alum sprocket which was apparently built wrong and my chain has chewed the sproket up badly on one side. tonight I took it off to send back and when I put my stock sprocket back on I cannot get the axle nut on far enough to line up the axle holes with the axle nut holes to get the safeth clip to go in. any ideas?
this is how far the nut has to go to get the holes aligned:

this is as far as I can get in on, even with a 1/2" impact wrench:

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
Is it possible that your aftermarket carrier included a spacer/large washer that you forgot to remove when you installed the stock carrier/sprocket?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no. I have the workshop manual CD and all I have is the collar (12) between hub and sprocket and washer (3) behind the nut.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the stock set up has no carrier, just the flange (5) with the 5 cush drives (9)fastened to the sprocket. The sprocket can only face one way as the cush drives will only go in from one side. nuts!

·
Registered
654 Posts
The sprocket has a small lip on the back of the cush-rubber holes ?
to stop them backing out when worn, like the older 916 did.

brian.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
christ, I had the sprocket backwards...assumed the cush drives went thru from the back so they couldn't pull out, wrong. I guess when tightend they expand and grip the sprocket. sorry I wasted you guys time. thanks though.:eek:

·
Registered
730 Posts
I did the same thing last week, then I remembered the 42 t mark was facing out even thought it didn't seem to make mechanical sense with the direction of the 5 big sprocket bolts that slip in.
no they don't expand, i took off the parts as a unit and they continue to float. it seems the carrier just sandwiches things and thats it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts