Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter has a carrier for rear sprocket without any markings or name on. See picture.
Does she need to find out to get the proper sprocket or are all carriers the same?
Automotive tire Crankset Vehicle brake Bicycle part Bicycle

·
Registered
152 Posts
She needs to get the rear sprocket for small axle. They have 5 big circles to fit the dampers. The large axle sprocket has 6 big circles because they have 6 dampers instead of 5. To summary, not all carriers are the same as in there are large hub carriers and small hub carriers. Every the sprocket fits small axle carriers are interchangeable. Same with large axle.

Some manufacturers make quick change system where the sprocket needs a quick change carrier to be able to mount the carrier for installation. From your picture, I believe your daughter has the quick change system. I suggest she finds out which sprocket she is using and contact them to get the sprocket. It would be cheaper than replacing the entire setup.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Are you sure? Looks pretty much like the stock carrier to me - I have a shagged one in a box somewhere...
Not entirely sure but it doesn't make sense how there are nuts outside the carrier on the sprockets. You usually see those bolts on the quick change system when they use those to bolt the sprocket on the quick change sprocket carrier. Also, there is something look like the border of the quick change sprocket carrier on the top left. I've never seen a sprocket like this but my knowledge is sure limited.

Bicycle part Automotive tire Crankset Rim Vehicle brake

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank´s for all of your comments.
The sprocket is pushed over the carrier and has a snug fit to it. As it seems, it will not be removed until after the next couple of track days.
When looking at my 1098S of the same year there are the usual set up where the hub has to be taken apart to replace the sprocket. See picture.
I was not even considering that it could be OEM parts. I´ll have a look in the parts list and workshop manual.
Edit: I had a look in the repair manual and there it looks like on my 1098s in the picture below.
Crankset Automotive tire Vehicle brake Bicycle part Gear

·
Registered
2010 Ducati 848 Superbike
450 Posts
Not entirely sure but it doesn't make sense how there are nuts outside the carrier on the sprockets. You usually see those bolts on the quick change system when they use those to bolt the sprocket on the quick change sprocket carrier. Also, there is something look like the border of the quick change sprocket carrier on the top left. I've never seen a sprocket like this but my knowledge is sure limited.
Ah yes, of course. I was just looking at the centre, with "carrier" being my focus... but those bolts are a bit of a giveaway to be some sort of quick-change system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts