Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running a 15/44 ratio on my '02 ST2 and had to change the chain and sprockets. I looked and looked but can't seem to find steel 44t rears. Anybody have a source? All I can find is a 43 which is what I am currently running but that combo changes the rpm just enough to put it in the annoying zone for the areas I run. I may have to switch to a 14 front but that might be an interesting change. Has anyone run a 14/43?

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,674 Posts
I put a 14t on my '02 ST4S (purchased last April) to give it some more low end short term.(waiting to change both sprockets and chain when more played out)
It has worked as planned but wore out the upper swingarm/chain guide guard quicker than on my previous '98 ST 2. I'm not sure how old the guide was when purchased but it was done in 8,000 miles .
Something to keep an eye on

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,363 Posts
What pitch? 520 or 525? Either way, Sprocket Center looks like they have it. It's weird though. They have the Superlite RS7 44 listed as part of the kits, but not separately. I would contact them to ask.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
525 steel. I just took off a 520 kit as it was all that they had at the time. I'm more concerned with wear life than saving a couple of ounces. And yes, I saw that weirdness on the sprocket center site. Not sure what's going on there. Unless they just haven't updated the kit listings OR they have leftover kits with that size in it. I just went for a run with the 14t on the front and it's not bad. Definitely runs a noticeable higher rpm all over but I think I can live with that. What I'm not sure about is how fast I'm going chew up my swingarm guide.

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
411 Posts
I use JT sprockets , order them from local bike shop along with chain ..... the ST3 performs well with 15-43 ....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm wondering if the internal gearing of the ST3 is different from the ST2. 15-43 put me right at 4k at about 110-115km/h. 4k has the bike slightly stumbling which is the topic of another thread.

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
411 Posts
My ST3 is very smooth down to 2000-2500 while moving , it does have full DP performance kit installed , with baffles removed and I do keep it well tuned .... the above link is a good one , thanks for posting

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
pretty sure the st2 got the revised 1.84 primary drive gears from the start in 97 - it and the 916sps were the first of them. they all had 42 tooth rear sprockets, so they must have.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No way can I run 2-2500 steady throttle and then roll on. Chugga-chugga is pretty intense. Bike is all stock with a Brad Black throttle body setup, I'm not looking to replace cans as I live in a quiet neighborhood and don't want to rattle windows late at night when I'm coming home. I'll replace the chip if that'll cure the running issue and then that'll help with the sprocket choices but I have that topic in another thread.
I got an email back from Drive Systems stating that they had relisted the 44 and 45t steel rears on their website but it was the old "swoosh" pattern ( their words not mine ) not the RS7 pattern. I don't care what it looks like but when my local go-to bike store tried to get them apparently they were still only available in a kit?! Not sure what's going on, they found it weird as well.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whoops, Sprocket Center, not Drive Systems

1 - 12 of 12 Posts