Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I just purchased an '07 GT1000 overstock today! woo hoo! My first order of business is to adjust the rear shocks. I know the existing shocks can be slightly relocated with existing holes next to the ones used stock.

My question is, since the original bottom part of the shocks do not have bolts, I know I'll have to pick up a few. Does anyone know what size I'll need?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
The shocks are not adjustable in the way that you describe, only by adjusting the spring preload, via the ramps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, let's try this again.........

perhaps I've used incorrect wording, or it is not available on other years/models. Regardless, the existing brackets (as shown below in the picture below), are for moving the shocks into these extra holes and in turn, making the shocks more slanted and then the bike about an inch lower.

Originally, I did not realize this was an option until a local dealer had shown it to me. It was also something that Ducati had done on a few demo sport classics they had last season on the US demo Duc Truck.

The only problem is that I am not clear as to what size bolt (should it need to be replaced) and nut for bottom of the shocks will be needed.

Thanks for the suggestion Vengefulvan, I may do this as well just for additional comfort.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
A few of us, myself included, actualy speculated about this when the bikes first came out. It was decised that it can't be mounted there (an believe me MANY of us would have tried) and nobody on this forum has posted up about being able to make it work. Another thing I don't understand about your post is why you would need to replace either of the bolts if indeed it could be remounted? Why not just re-use the existing bolts?

Interested in the results if you figure it out.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The upper holes are for mounting luggage rails and (I believe) the grab handle for the center stand kit. Dietrich has it right: every GT owner on this forum would have moved their shocks to lower the bike a little, if it could only be done.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The upper holes are for mounting luggage rails and (I believe) the grab handle for the center stand kit. Dietrich has it right: every GT owner on this forum would have moved their shocks to lower the bike a little, if it could only be done.
Uhm, probably not "every GT owner." ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
in that case, I think Ducati really should reveal what they are doing to their demo bikes. As I have a 29in. inseam, and touched without any issue on a demo that was on one of their US duc trucks. I don't see why they would install aftermarket parts on a demo bike, and am wondering how you could lower one almost 2-3in with stock shocks (if it's possible, great, I honestly don't know).... not to mention, multiple dealers service departments should be advised that it's not a possibility instead of backing up the claim.

The upper holes for luggage brackets, makes perfect sense. I hadn't heard that, thanks for the clarification.

And as far as 'if it were possible every owner would do it', the comment wasn't geared to assume any other owner was ignorant. relax, I'm just stating what I've been told multiple times by multiple sources.

I've seen the Ikon shocks, the shorter versions, as well as the brackets, which both look like good options. But yeah, why wouldn't you try something that would cost next to nil first? Just saying.

Anyway, thanks for the input, I'm sure I'll put up what options end up working out the best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts