Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about installing rear sets on my 2009 848...

Anything I should know ? Do the rods hit the fairings ?

Thx!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thinking about installing rear sets on my 2009 848...

Anything I should know ? Do the rods hit the fairings ?

Thx!
Which rearsets?

And if you go with Woodcraft or Lightech... No.

·
Registered
74 Posts
there's so many great rearsets to choose from... If you plan to track your 848 and want something that's awesome yet reasonably priced and easy to get spares on the track - get either Vortex or Woodcraft.... other than those two you have more expensive ones --> Sato, Rizoma, acculign, the list goes on ...

I would highly recommend Woodcraft - I've always run them on my trackbikes - they're simple yet super effective and the best price!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sato.......well maybe

Love my Sato, they feel like my boot is attached to the bike. Can't recommend them enough, I never feel like my foot is slipping ( very important when wearing 47/48s toe drag is a big issue for me).
But
I warn against fixed position rear sets only because when crashed, they WILL bend your rear set mounts. it's a great way to total your bike, as it's considered a bent frame by most insurance, then You have a cheap track bike;); but if I had to do it all over again I would have gone with a more aggressive peg that could fold.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I warn against fixed position rear sets only because when crashed, they WILL bend your rear set mounts. it's a great way to total your bike, as it's considered a bent frame by most insurance, then You have a cheap track bike;); but if I had to do it all over again I would have gone with a more aggressive peg that could fold.
+1, my bike was totaled after the frame was bent using woodcrafts.

·
Registered
74 Posts
ya but for the track I don't really care - my 848 won't ever see street life again...

·
Registered
240 Posts
ya but for the track I don't really care - my 848 won't ever see street life again...
My point exactly, when it's down it's done. The fixed rear sets will almost guarantee this, if they won't total it for a bent rear set mounting tab, they should reconsider, it's a welded part of the frame. Just my $0.02, not a fact, but something they should consider.
My advice to My848, get fixed rear sets if you are ok with the above or having aspirations of making it a track bike later, or if it went down. Look at something a little more repairable if you want to fix it and put it back on the street.

·
Registered
74 Posts
yap good point - who makes folding rearsets though? I've seen oberon foot pegs but don't remember seeing folding rearsets for ducs

·
Registered
326 Posts
Check Motowheels' website. I think they have rear sets with folding pegs.

But personally, I bolted Acculigns to my 848.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I am going to pass on the rearsets...

I want to ride my 848 on the street and also do some track days...I think I am going to pass on the rear sets now...because of this thread...I was going buy some from fleabay for < $200...but they are not foldable...

·
9,757 Posts
Folding rearsets can bend your frame tabs as well in some situations.

The best solution for your frame is probably a set of simple fixed rearsets with an aluminum screw that'll allow the footpeg to break away... the only thing is you don't know how much load those aluminum screws can take... wouldn't want them snapping off while you're riding lol.

I personally run stock with a set of oberon pegs.

Motowheels.com has the oberon pegs, as well as a couple kinds of folding rearsets.

ps, bent frame tabs aren't the end of the world, everyone just bends them back, just don't go through insurance.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Folding rear sets

MS 1098/848 "Corse" Rear Sets: Street

I have to agree w/ Matt. Folding pegs are no guaruntee that you won't bend the tabs. We have had many bikes come in with bent tabs on stock foldable rear sets. Once the peg folds, there is nowhere else for the energy to go but through the tabs. Well designed solid footpegs will break off after the initial hard hit.

One thing nice about folding pegs: you won't have to ride home with out footpegs if the footpegs break off...

-M

·
Registered
590 Posts

MS 1098/848 "Corse" Rear Sets: Street

I have to agree w/ Matt. Folding pegs are no guaruntee that you won't bend the tabs. We have had many bikes come in with bent tabs on stock foldable rear sets. Once the peg folds, there is nowhere else for the energy to go but through the tabs. Well designed solid footpegs will break off after the initial hard hit.

One thing nice about folding pegs: you won't have to ride home with out footpegs if the footpegs break off...

-M
Those are sweet!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Lightech folding rearsets sold by OPPracing.com.

(btw, my fixed pegs bent and tore the mounting bracket. No amount of "just bending it back" in place would have worked.)

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts