Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't seem to adjust my tie rod.

I understand the bottom nuts are left hand thread, but no matter how I try to do this, nothing moves. Could be seized. But can someone give me the rundown on exactly how you adjust it?

I've been trying to adjust the 17mm ends, not the 19mm locknuts above them.

Bike was lowered by previous owner. So much so that the kickstand does not work on flat ground. Move the front forks to stock, now time for the rear.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
It is seized. Remove it and soak it in wd40. DO NOT PUT A SCREWDRIVER OR ANY SUCH ITEM IN THE EYE OF THE BALL JOINT. YOU WILL DAMAGE IT. Chances are you will need to replace the whole thing. 50/50 chance that it’s salvageable.
Use anti-seize to assemble if you salvage it or anti-seize on any new item.

·
Registered
654 Posts
+1 remove and soak with penetrating oil. A little gentle heat from a hot air gun can help a lot, the aluminium rod expands more then the steel rose joint thread. Once it's free, do future generations a favour, undo the threads all the way and apply some anti-sneeze copper grease.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it fucked because it's seized? A little surprised since it was adjusted in the past few years.

I didn't do any damage to any parts myself, as I had a feeling I wasn't getting it to work.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Can't seem to adjust my tie rod.

I've been trying to adjust the 17mm ends, not the 19mm locknuts above them.
I hate to ask such an obvious question but, you did loosen both jam nuts before attempting to adjust the rod length, right?

It is the internet, so uh, I gotta ask the obvious..........sean

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hate to ask such an obvious question but, you did loosen both jam nuts before attempting to adjust the rod length, right?

It is the internet, so uh, I gotta ask the obvious..........sean

Probably not. Don't even know what those are, couldn't find anything in my Haynes manual or online referencing jam nuts.

That's why I'm asking EXACTLY how you adjust this thing

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Okay,
So uh, you have a rod with threaded ends. A Heim joint is threaded into each end. There is a jam nut on the Heim joint threads.

One end is threaded opposite of the other. This is so when you turn the rod, the Heim joint on each end either threads in or out of the rod.

Thread in to shorten the rod and reduce your ride height. Thread out to lengthen the rod and increase ride height.

Much easier with the aftermarket rods available. I have one from MotoWheels with a hex in the middle of the rod. That makes adjustments much easier.

Also, unloading the rear suspension will make things easier. No weight (load) on the rod will make turning it easier. Unless it's all seized up.

Also for what it's worth, turning the chain adjusting eccentric so the axle is at the bottom (correct position per the manual) will increase ride height......sean

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Probably not. Don't even know what those are, couldn't find anything in my Haynes manual or online referencing jam nuts.
Provided you have the same Haynes Manual that I have, Chapter 6, section 14 has instructions for rear ride height adjustment in paragraph 11.....sean

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, 17mm nut is closest to the heim joint. Read about the reversed threads, nuts marked by lines. Unloaded the rear suspension and tried to turn either end (17mm) and nothing budged. I'll try removing and soaking in penetrant or just buying a new one.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
First time I tried to adjust mine it was seized, I took it off and freed it OK but one of the nuts cracked.

I bought an aftermarket rod which is easier to adjust as it has a hex in the middle of the rod and reassembled it with plenty of anti seize.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If you are removing it, use some real heat on the rod near the ends. At least a propane torch, oxy-acetylene if you know how to use it[and have access to it] also tapping on the shaft where the threads are can help break the grip of the corrosion.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Just buy a replacement one. There are good ones out there for a reasonable price...

Reactions: xracer
1 - 18 of 18 Posts