Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just installed a set that I bought from Shift-Tech. These were off their Bayliss HTM and were black powdercoated with CF guards. I also installed the longer heat shield in CF.

I'll post up a picture later. I think they look good on a red HTM.

Now the not so fun part...

While taking off the original left side bracket, I managed to screw up the bolt head. That material is very soft. i was using a hex key.

Took me a good part of 45 minutes to get that bolt out. I drilled it and made the cap head bigger so i could use the next size up hex key. But that did not work. I finally removed the top bolt and pulled the bracket down. That made the bad bolt move. I was then able to insert the hex key on an angle and finally pull the bolt out.

Luckily, Shift-tech sent the brackets with bolts. The right side bracket came off easily and that took me 5 minutes.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

·
Registered
2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200s Touring
178 Posts
I had to remove my left passenger peg due to a low side and found the bolts were secured with red locktite. Perhaps this is why yours were tough.

Thnking of selling yours? I'm in need of a left passenger and drivers pegs if you are.

·
I Wear The Silver Badge
117 Posts
Same thing happened to me, I used an impact hammer with the hex socket in. Bolt came out, but the head was definitely stripped. it also had the red locktite on it. it has been one of the many many bolts I've stripped on this bike, and at the same rate, some bolts have just simply dissappeared. My airbox is next.......can't wait to see how that turns out.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bolts also had red loctite. But I can tell you that when I tried the right side bolts, I almost did the same thing. Stopped just in time and re-inserted the hex socket and carefully applied torque while positively put straight on pressure on the bolt. That kept the hex key from moving inside the bolt.

jethro:

I have a complete left passenger bracket with peg and heal guard in good to very good condition.

Make me an offer.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Luckily, Shift-tech sent the brackets with bolts.
Guido is the best :)
I bought him a rear hugger and the carbon fiber Bayliss Edition kit. More than happy with the quality and service provided by Shift-Tech.

I took off my stock rearset and pegs last weekend for powder coating, and I'm glad to read I'm not the only one who ended up with stripped bolt head.
it was the 2 bolts of the sporcket cover for me !

·
Registered
2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200s Touring
178 Posts
Investing in a good set of allen keys is essential if you intend to work on a duc. That, patience and a well developed feel for screwing around with mechanical stuff.

I try to never rush any Ducati work. It is a great excuse to spend boat loads of time in tha garage!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Even a great set of allen cant do lot when working on bolts that are softer than bubble-gum (talking about the 2 sprocket cover bolts)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been wrenching on bikes for years and can tighten bolts down to 9 Nm without using a torque wrench and not strip them.

The bolts Ducati is using are crap!

My set of allen/hex keys are made by Bondhaus and have done well by me over the years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts