Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im looking to get a rear hugger for my 748. I talked to a guy at a dealer and he claims that there are different mount points on a '99 748 (my bike) and a '00 748. Is he full of shit? I think he might just want me to buy the hugger from them and they are about $80 more than what i can find on the internet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've heard they are a pain in the ass to put on. That was just from one guy though, maybe this is why? I have no personal experience with them though.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I know all the swing arms are the same, so I would think the hauggers would be the same.

·
Registered
791 Posts
SkylineICR said:
I've heard they are a pain in the ass to put on. That was just from one guy though, maybe this is why? I have no personal experience with them though.
you have to remove the rearwheel to install the hugger.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
They are not that difficult to install. The one we have requires a third mounting hole to get it to align properly.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I've got a QB Carbon http://www.worldofqbcarbon.com/products/ducati/916/748916.htm hugger on my 916 and although it is easier to remove the rear wheel to fit I can remove/refit without.

It fits to all the mounting holes used by the chainguard (which it replaces) and there is one extra bolt which fits into the swingarm (near to the shock mount) the hole for this was already there and IIRC already threaded with the correct thread (6mm), although I did run a tap down it just to open up the threads.

But FWIW take off the rear wheel - the 916/748/996 bikes must be the easiest bikes in the world to remove the rear wheel from, I can remove mine in less than a minute! :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pretty easy to install.

+1 less than a minute to take off the wheel

I had to tap a hole in my swingarm, not hard just make sure you go deep enough with the drill to get a good tap.

TIP: Before you mark a point for the 3rd hole, re-install the wheel and mount the hugger with the other two bolts. Then use a bit of grease and temporarily "paste" a few washers on the top center of the tire. Rotate the wheel, if the washers hit the hugger, you might need more clearance...use the position of that third hole to tweak the position of the hugger to get enough clearance. Don't forget to remove the washers and wipe the grease off your wheel.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
pveltri said:
I had to tap a hole in my swingarm, not hard just make sure you go deep enough with the drill to get a good tap.

TIP: Before you mark a point for the 3rd hole
Do the swingarms not all have the hole then? because mine had it from new, and the guy at QB told me that the hole in the hugger would line up with an existing hole - which it did. As I said I think I needed to tap it deeper but it was already there, I would have thought that they are all the same?........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts