Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like one of the first non-Ducati mods is available.

Clay Carrier is finished with and preparing to ship a CF fender/chain guard combo. The picture link looks broken on his site right now but was working last night.

I have no affiliation with, or financial interest in this, just passing along info that I'm sure is of interest since the swingarms are unprotected on the SC's, especially the Smart with the pretty paint!

I haven't ordered one, but am looking forward to seeing one on a bike.

http://carbonfiberman.com/

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'll be ordering one of those! I'm waiting to see if he'll offer a painted version. I know, it's a sin to paint over that beautiful carbon fiber...
I'm just not sure I personally want carbon on a 70s retro bike. Although...he will be making a front fender to match....

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
DucatiGal said:
I'll be ordering one of those! I'm waiting to see if he'll offer a painted version. I know, it's a sin to paint over that beautiful carbon fiber...
I'm just not sure I personally want carbon on a 70s retro bike. Although...he will be making a front fender to match....
I've seen carbon pieces that are partially painted, best of both worlds.

·
Registered
198 Posts
This looks like the same one that was on my bike when I bought it. Looks good.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
DucatiGal said:
I agree. I think it looks great but I'm not sure that I want carbon fiber on my "old shcool" bike.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yup, so I'm holding off for now to see if anyone else makes one, and offers painted versions. I'm also waiting to see what other exhaust manufacturers come up with. I like the Termis, but I want to see what Arrow comes out with. No rush. I'm buried under a foot and a half of snow now, anyway.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hugger

I initially had the same thoughts about CF on my retro-rocket but bought one anyway.Hey,you can paint it!

After getting it installed,I do not think I'll paint after all. It is truly a work of art itself.The quality and fit are worthy of the PS1000LE it is onm.

Great work by Clay!

Paint

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes, Paint I think it looks greeeat! I don't think i'd touch a thing. The bike is very special, and I believe any parts made with the care and quality of Clay's hugger are worthy additions. -Capt

·
ROF
686 Posts
DucatiGal said:

MY 2 CENTS:

I don't see carbon fiber as something just for show even though it does look very cool. I see the main advantage of carbon fiber fabricated shapes as being very strong and very light weight. Having said that, I know there is a camp out there that for some reason doesn't think carbon fiber even belongs on a Ducati SportClassic motorcycle. Can't be anyone at Ducati since they are selling all kinds of carbon fiber bits to stick on these bikes. Here is a piece from an article in MOTORCYCLEUSA.com and it has help to direct my thinking on my PS1000 and how I approach changes to the bike.

This new family of bikes is the brainchild of Ducati design chief Pierre Terblanche.
Terblanche insists, the SportClassics are not replicas of famous 1970s Ducatis (as a cursory glance at their styling may suggest). Instead they are full-on, modern sports bikes which take their styling cues from, and pay tribute to, illustrious forebears from the 1970s."I wanted not to just recreate an era," Terblanche explained, "But to produce real, modern sports bikes - that's why, for example, they have inverted forks. The intention was to take the look and feel of the past - but to produce modern bikes with the very best in equipment available today."

One last word about carbon fiber components... I can not see painting a carbon fiber component unless it is replacing something that was painted like a body panel.

Phil,
Salem, Oregon

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah, yeah, I know. And I know the benefits of carbon fiber, too...stronger and lighter weight. Since I have a black Sport, it'll probably blend in just fine. If I purchase one of Clay's, I won't paint it. If someone offers a painted to match version, maybe I'll prefer that. Don't know, I'm still on the fence. Although, I do want a hugger before I ride it too much so it doesn't get filthy. Just can't make up my mind. Woman's perogative, dontcha know?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey D-Gal,
I received my Hugger from Clay about a week or 2 ago. It really is a very, very, nice piece. I believe it will compliment your Sport very well. When you see the quality of the CF and the fitment you'll know what I mean. It is just the kind of component you'd expect to see on something a pretty as yer Sport. -Capt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts