Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday down here in Georgia was gorgeous so I met up with a few buddies to do our usual run up through the N. Georgia mtns: 129, 180, 60, Richard Russell Raceway, ect...

Headed out from the house about 8:45, proceeded up interstate 985.

About 30 mins in, were were riding along and 2 of my buddies chopped throttle, and so I followed suite to see what was up. Turns out they were just screwing around, but the next thing I knew, all I could see in my rear view mirrors was the front of an F150 about 5 ft off my ass. By that time it was too late. She nailed me good, pushed my rear end up into the air. I managed to keep it together and accelerate away, but I was one of the biggest scares I have ever had. Driver pulled over admitted to texting while driving and looking down at her phone.

Smashed my license plate, slightly bent the bracket,dismounted blinkers from their mounts, and impacted my tire fuckin hard, eating a bit of rubber off. I think the tire sticking out is what actually saved me, acting as sort of a bumper.

I was very tempted to file a police report, but after assessing, the damage was only to my license plate and bracket, so I just let her pay me $150 cash for a new plate mount and called it a day. Didnt want to let it ruin my day and not enjoy my ride.

In the end I consider myself extremely lucky. I have been hit head on before by a car (scared me away from the street for 3 years) but being rear ended on the interstate has to be one of the scariest feeling I can imagine...

Moral of the story, even the smallest lapse in concentration can have dramatic consequences. Always make sure and indicate using a brake when engine braking, and dont ever let others distract you.

Other then that, the ride was great, rubbed all the F150 off my rear tire (never thought I would say that sentence) and even saw some neat bikes, including a set of mint Suzuki RG500's.

If just 1 person can learn from this story, I will consider this post worth the effort.

Ride safe ya'll

Attachments

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
lucky/

have to wonder why a motorcyclist's life has so little respect.so a motorvehicle causes a motorcyclist's death yet the driver receives a ticket & little more.amazing you rode away & no other damage occurred.Sunday-yesterday the same cannot be said here in Michigan as silly Season kicks off with another fatality.there should be manatory jail if a driver is found at fault of killing a motorcyclist.maybe motorcycle manufacturer's could begin a movement?1 motorcyclist killed, 1 injured in crash in Livingston County | MLive.com

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Glad you were ok... I guess I'd worry about bearing damage or some other unforseen damage to the bike... I'd definitely have filed a report.

Reactions: HyperJB

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
have to wonder why a motorcyclist's life has so little respect.so a motorvehicle causes a motorcyclist's death yet the driver receives a ticket & little more.amazing you rode away & no other damage occurred.Sunday-yesterday the same cannot be said here in Michigan as silly Season kicks off with another fatality.there should be manatory jail if a driver is found at fault of killing a motorcyclist.maybe motorcycle manufacturer's could begin a movement?1 motorcyclist killed, 1 injured in crash in Livingston County | MLive.com
That's really sad, and I feel bad for the old guy too. IMO we assume a certain amount of risk when we choose to use public roads without a cage. Humans being the imperfect things that we are... occasionally one will make a mistake and if you don't have a cage you're in a LOT of danger when you're surrounded by 4000lb vehicles.

Reactions: FatCobra

·
Registered
433 Posts
Glad this story had a happy ending. Silly season is definitely here.

I nearly got taken out by an oblivious minivan rolling through a stop sign about thirty yards from my front door after a 100+ mile ride yesterday. Always be watchful.

I yelled a stream of profanities at the driver/gave her the finger etc... then later on realized I probably did all this in full view of a neighbor's baby shower.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad this story had a happy ending. Silly season is definitely here.

I nearly got taken out by an oblivious minivan rolling through a stop sign about thirty yards from my front door after a 100+ mile ride yesterday. Always be watchful.

I yelled a stream of profanities at the driver/gave her the finger etc... then later on realized I probably did all this in full view of a neighbor's baby shower.
Thanks for the laugh, needed it

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Glad to hear that you are okay.

On another note, is that a 1998 916 SPS in that one pic?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Glad for the good outcome. That could have been ugly.

A guy got killed near here the morning of the 15th when a lady rear ended him. He was slowing to turn off I believe. Newspaper kind of sketchy on facts. I heard second hand that she was texting, but that's unconfirmed. But in 2018, that's the first thing I think of when I hear of this type of accident.

BTW, that's a '99 - '03 F250 Super Duty she was driving, I've got one. I could run over a Smart car and not notice it if I wasn't paying attention.;)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to hear that you are okay.

On another note, is that a 1998 916 SPS in that one pic?
Thanks man. Yeah, I thought it was but I am no SPS expert. Everything looked factory and pristine. Also saw a Bostrom 996 heading the other direction on 129. Everyone had their nice toys out yesterday for sure

Reactions: 2004 999s

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Thanks man. Yeah, I thought it was but I am no SPS expert. Everything looked factory and pristine. Also saw a Bostrom 996 heading the other direction on 129. Everyone had their nice toys out yesterday for sure
It looks correct but the only place where it would say "916 SPS" is on the tail. I can't tell in your pic. Definitely looks like you have great people and machinery around (other than texting drivers in pickup trucks).

·
Registered
930 Posts
Very familiar with 985 and just about every other road around Atlanta. Glad you made it out OK but Atlanta drivers are horrible and from what I read it seems most other cities are pretty much the same. I am actually surprised that there aren't more wrecks than there are. Especially with people texting.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I understand the OP wanting be nice and not put a sour note on his own day delaying his ride, etc. But, I think the police should have been involved. Texting assholes won't learn enough of a lesson by being let off paying a little cash to the (extremely lucky) victim and going about the rest of their day. I can guarantee she was testing the next day, maybe even the same day, free to endanger everyone as if nothing happened.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
I understand the OP wanting be nice and not put a sour note on his own day delaying his ride, etc. But, I think the police should have been involved. Texting assholes won't learn enough of a lesson by being let off paying a little cash to the (extremely lucky) victim and going about the rest of their day. I can guarantee she was testing the next day, maybe even the same day, free to endanger everyone as if nothing happened.
I echo your sentiments to the letter. If it had happened to me I'm not sure I'd have handled it so nicely. I'm just happy to know HyperJB's able to post about this learning lesson which equates to the old fighter pilot axiom: Always check your "6."

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Believe me, I agree with you 100%, and am a little aggravated with myself that I wasn't just patient as I believe you are right about her probably continuing to text and pilot an f250 death machine. I have lost my share of bikes and blood to idiots and have no compassion for them at all. I was outraged and she got a piece of my mind. If it was any other day, and not my first ride of the season with a buncha of buddies waiting for me, things would have played out differently.

I definitely posted this as a learning lesson, not a "do as I did". Live and learn

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,260 Posts
Driver pulled over admitted to texting while driving and looking down at her phone.

---

I was very tempted to file a police report, but after assessing, the damage was only to my license plate and bracket, so I just let her pay me $150 cash for a new plate mount and called it a day.

---

If just 1 person can learn from this story, I will consider this post worth the effort.
Well I sure hope you would have done the right thing and called the cops. Letting idiot cagers with their phones get off the hook like that is purely retarded. Do you really think she learned her lesson? SMH.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Scary event.. glad you survived it unscathed! Would have definitely filed police report, filed insurance claim just to be a lesson to her, or else she got the message there are no consequences to her homicidal actions. Thats the only [legal] recourse that works.

Related, getting rear-ended is something that lane splitting helps avoid. IF your state has a stick up its arse about this option, treat that space between the two cars ahead of you in gridlock as an emergency escape path - its always there.. use as necessary. the other is maintaining situational awareness including your sixes, for who's around you and not paying attention.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I get everyone's frustration with the offending driver and thoughts on calling the police, however, the pessimistic side of me says what would the police have done? At most given her a ticket for texting and driving. Probably a warning. At the end of the day it was a near serious accident but it ended up being a "fender bender". I doubt police could give a crap about near misses. I doubt I would have waited for the police either as they typically want significant damage before they write it up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
glad you're safe! You need to look up the Wild Ducs.. Great group of guys (and Wendy) that usually ride up there nearly every weekend. If you happen to run into Alan, Cass, Eric, Michael, or any of the usual suspects, tell them Geoff said hello!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts