Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed new rotor, master cylinder, caliper/pads. I bleed the system using a phoenix bleeder. Checked to ensure tire is installed true and chain is aligned using a motion pro tool that attaches to the rear sprocket. Here is the concern. There is a very slight brake drag. So small that when you turn rear tire by hand it moves freely. You can only hear a slight metallic noise and you can see the virgin scratches on the rotor (see pic). I also checked that the rod that goes into the master cylinder and it is fully retracting. Is this normal or should I go back to the drawing board?
Craig

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I just installed new rotor, master cylinder, caliper/pads. I bleed the system using a phoenix bleeder. Checked to ensure tire is installed true and chain is aligned using a motion pro tool that attaches to the rear sprocket. Here is the concern. There is a very slight brake drag. So small that when you turn rear tire by hand it moves freely. You can only hear a slight metallic noise and you can see the virgin scratches on the rotor (see pic). I also checked that the rod that goes into the master cylinder and it is fully retracting. Is this normal or should I go back to the drawing board?
Craig
Hi,

Have you got access to a dial gauge to check run out on the rotor to see if the wheel & rotor are running true and straight, could be that the rear wheel is not properly aligned slightly, worn rear wheel bearings ? Could also be a case of you just need to ride it, bed the rear brakes in & check again.

Craig

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Hi,

Have you got access to a dial gauge to check run out on the rotor to see if the wheel & rotor are running true and straight, could be that the rear wheel is not properly aligned slightly, worn rear wheel bearings ? Could also be a case of you just need to ride it, bed the rear brakes in & check again.

Craig
So long as the wheel is spinning freely and the pads are 'roughing-up' evenly across their surface then it is all OK.
As Craig says , take it for a spin and it fou are still concerned then take a look at the pads to make sure everything is bedding evenly , if not then look for the reason but , honetsly , sounds normal to me.;)

·
7,733 Posts
Craig
Sounds normal. The pads should always be slightly touching the rotors, front or rear. Makes for smooth braking. I little *steady* "hisssssss" is okay. The pads will bed it. As mentioned, ride it. Make sure you have only filled the fluid to the max line or slightly lower. :)

(why use a rear stand when you have a center stand?)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to hear. Still learning to do hands on maintenance. Thank you for the information. Craig

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
Also, do not expect a lot of stopping capability until it the system beds in. Folk report that Duc rear brakes only get better with consistent use. I have found the same.

Have a good one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts